Advice please

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Advice please

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Branching out wrote: Thanks for all the additional advice. I have not got very far with cage building yet, as a result of poor UK customer service. I ordered 24" x 15" black finch cage fronts from one company who took the money but sent nothing, sorted that out and ordered another pair from a different company who have sent 30" silver Budgie fronts, both of which were damaged before transit.
Bird wise, I visited the shop that I will probably use. they had a pair of gorgeous spice finches for £75, a pair of Hecks that loooked great but just sat on their perch for the whole time I was there and didn't move, Gouldians - lovely but £150 for a pair. Happiest looking of them all were the Bengalese at £25 a pair, in a large cage , playing together and looking very content. I didn't really want to go for Bengalese but they were the most interesting to watch, so I am open minded about them now.
Oh no that's really annoying! I hope you are able to get your cages soon then!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 am

Fingers crossed for a big cage soon and perhaps you might contact a breeder directly and get the birds from there?
When I bought my last birds, a emblema picta-pair, both were sitting on the bottom of a cage not bigger than a shoe box, so there was no way for them to show a 'natural' behaviour.
Clean eyes, a dry vent and the normal colours were to only things I could see. When the vendor took them for me, I just could see the bandings, and that the body was ok. At home I noticed the the male was lacking one claw, and all claws very quite long.
Now, two weeks after, the birds are fine. They learned to fly (again), they lost any shyness (in fact they are not shy at all) the molt, the claws have been used in soil and lava-rocks and look normal to my eye now. Beaks are clean now, as are the feet.

When there are no options to choose, just look that the birds you want have no obvious illness ... :(

And take your time ... I waited more than seven month's until I got the birds I wanted. The cage and all that stuff was ready and waiting for them! I already had fresh millet to offer them :lol: !

Dek
Pip
Pip

Post by Dek » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:59 am

Hi Branching out welcome to the site. I am in UK too, not many of us? You will get a great deal of info and advice. I have had a mixed aviary of finches. Owls, Star finches, bengalese finches and African silver bills. I would steer clear of cut throats, zebs, I have hecks and haven't had any problems.
Dek

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:06 pm

There are hardly any breeders that I can find in the South of England, just plenty of Zebra finches available in the free ads. As far as I can see, I would need to travel 60 miles or more for a breeder selling what I am looking for. It is also clear that species being sold for £80 a pair in my region are available at half that price in the North of the country.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Branching out

If you are interested in Societies, then these folks may be able to give you some information about clubs and breeders in your area or near by.

http://www.nbfa.co.uk/

Sorry to hear about your miss adventures with ordering supplies. Hopefully things will get better in the future :-BD .

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm

The cage is starting to come along quite well now. I have pictures but can't work out how to upload them. I have built a platform over my terrapin enclosure, with bird design decorative brackets, used replacement trays for the bottom of a dog crate for the trays and put 4" high perspex sliding doors on the front to try to keep the seed and sand in. I have used aquarium background for wipe clean surfaces on the walls and it is starting to look quite good. I have a few photos but I cannot work out how to upload them.

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 pm

terrapins
terrapins
Attachments
bracket
bracket
coming on okay.
coming on okay.

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Ah, so they did upload after all. The picture of the fancy bracket is obviously the wrong way around. The cage is nearly finished now and I have been told someone might have six owl finches for me next week :D I don't know if they will be males of females, or if I will be able to tell.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:50 pm

Dek Branching out

Just wanted to say I’m from uk too what parts are you from
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:56 pm

South Coast.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Branching out far from me then am up north manchester
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 am

Cage finished but the six owl finches I went to see turned out to be four owls and two stars and one of the stars wasn't carrying its wing properly. The seller caught it and the wing appeared undamaged but something wasn't right. I didn't want to risk starting my experience with finches with worrying about a potentially injured bird, or whether four owls would be okay / should I get a pair of something else and if so, from where etc. So I have just one pair of owls. The bar on their fronts is very different and the one with the thicker bar has a lot more black on it's head so I think they are a pair. The cage gives them plenty of space, so I am now thinking that I will put a nest in for them next spring and see if they will breed after all and keep the babies with their parents if that's what happens. I'll take a photo when they have settled but I have to say they seem fairly relaxed already and I love the way they can hover. Any comments or advice gratefully received.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 am

Branching out I would say if you are going to get more to get passive species so they will get along with your owls like stars and society’s also these will breed near close together

Also I’m just suggesting if you breed I would not keep the babies because it’s extremly difficult to stop them inbreeding with the parents

And it’s a shame about your visit it would have been nice to come home with that lot

Have you got photos of ur owl I love the look of them
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 am

I'll upload a photo tomorrow; I love them already! I was tempted to buy all four owls and add a pair of something else this week but finding anything other than zebras anywhere near here is very hit and miss. I might be able to get Bengalese next week but if the owl pair are settled by then, I don't want to stir up trouble. I thought if they did breed, once the babies had fledged I could take away the nest box and that would discourage them or is it a case of if you get them to start they won't want to stop?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Branching out Yh well bengalease won’t inerupt and hey are handy for Incase the owls don’t look after the chicks the bengis will

And no it’s not the case they will just breed like mad for some reason

Also you can try zebras but they can be really horrible in breeding time and kill other finches

Anyway good luck and bet u have a really nice pair I hope u msg me whatever u get
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL