Advice please

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Advice please

Post by Sojourner » Mon May 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Branching out

Take a sprig of broccoli and clip it to the side of the cage. They will often treat the tiny little round "heads" on the broccoli as if it were seed.

You could also tempt them with fresh spinach leaves clipped to the side of the cage, but don't offer it every day because it can cause calcium deficiency due to very high levels of oxalic acid.

I offer a "salad mix" consisting of kale, chicory, sliced brussel sprouts, and shredded broccoli stems that they eat happily. They also love arugula. I now offer them their "bird salad" on a plate on the floor of the cage but I STARTED with fresh greens and veggies clipped to the side of the cage. My theory is that most finches are unused to eating on the floor of the cage, they're used to eating out of seed cups or from things like cuttlebone attached to the side of their cage, so perhaps starting by offering them things clipped to the side of the cage will encourage them.

If they ignore it, just remove it and replace it daily (or twice daily if necessary, depends on the particular veggie) with fresh. Eventually they'll take to it.

I had no trouble introducing fresh veggies to my finches, though they have very nearly completely ignored fruits. However my budgies were quite a different story. Took me over a year. I finally got them to try the bird salad by introducing them to a home made bird bread (corn free) chock full of pureed veggies. They loved the bread, which I then started crumbling over the bird salad. Eventually they started eating at least some of the bird salad. Another year gone by and they now readily eat their greens even in the absence of bird bread.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Tue May 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Two photos of my little gang. They are still refusing fruit & veg!
Attachments
P1030940.JPG
P1030945.JPG

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Very pretty birds and aviary!

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:33 pm

One of the owl finches is looking very slightly scruffy today. It's moving well and eating and it sits with the others, so I think it might be moulting. The creamish colour on its breast is looking a bit grey and the black bar is incomplete.
They have access to cuttlefish bone, oyster grit and sand and have a seed based died but are still refusing green stuff.
There is daylight through the window and aviary light goes on during daylight hours at the weekends.
I was wondering if there is some sort of supplement to put in the water to help with moulting, or whether I should just leave well alone as all behaviour is normal. Eyes and vent are clean etc.
Any advice?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:02 pm

No, I wouldn't put anything in the water. You could put some dried egg food in that you can get at most pet stores. Or hard boil an egg and shred some of it for them. You can shred some carrot and shave broccoli tops and mix it in there too. But the hard boiled egg would have to come out in two hours so it doesn't spoil. The dried commercial food can stay in all the time. They need light during daylight hours all week.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 am

Welcome to the forum! If you are trying to house as many pairs as you can, make the cage as big as you can. Finches like to have a lot of space.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am

I’ve used a supplement in the water called moulting

It works well but u can only add it three tiles per weeks and emtpty after 24 hours
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:40 pm

wildbird wrote: You could put some dried egg food in that you can get at most pet stores.
I would need to order online as it definitely isn't available in most pet stores in the UK.

But I though the egg food was for when they weren't moulting?

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Fraza wrote: I’ve used a supplement in the water called moulting

It works well but u can only add it three tiles per weeks and emtpty after 24 hours
Thanks, that's the stuff I was wondering about.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Branching out Yh it works well I only used for three weeks
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I've tricked them into eating some grapes today by chopping the grapes up and covering them with seeds. I'm pretty sure the grapes didn't just dry up!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:19 pm

The egg food is for when they are moulting. They need the protein to help grow new feathers. You can get Quicko Classic dried egg food from DrsFosterSmith.com or 800-443-1160. It is a product of Germany.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 pm

For the greens try clipping some greens very close to where they eat or even on the dish they eat from. They may not recognize the greens as food since there is so much inedible greenery in the aviary. Maybe buy a food chopper and finely chop some kale. Mine love organic romaine lettuce hearts and organic dandelion greens. Always rinse well several times in clean water to remove any pesticides or other contaminants before feeding. I clip the greens to the side of the cage.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:43 am

I use to make a box mixed off mealworms, millet, seeds and then greens so that they just new that was a various food box.
This might work
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 pm

wildbird wrote: For the greens try clipping some greens very close to where they eat or even on the dish they eat from. They may not recognize the greens as food since there is so much inedible greenery in the aviary. Maybe buy a food chopper and finely chop some kale. Mine love organic romaine lettuce hearts and organic dandelion greens. Always rinse well several times in clean water to remove any pesticides or other contaminants before feeding. I clip the greens to the side of the cage.
Yes, I've been putting it in the food bowl but they've just been taking it out and throwing it around. They might have eaten carrot tops. My other birds love dandelion leaves in particular but the finches threw them out of the cage. Now they've eaten grapes, I think I might make some headway.