Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

Post by Phoenix811 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Sally thank u very much for taking the time to find these links for me! yes, I agree with u - I would prefer a breeder, especially after hearing all of these unfortunate stories :?

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Phoenix811 - Hi, I just reread the posts in this thread and was wondering what you ended up doing. Did you find breeders in your area/buy more birds?
Iso

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 pm

quick update* I stuck with my order from finch farm (as despite my best attempts, there was nothing to be found locally) I just received the email with photo and should receive my finch tomorrow- I am both equally excited and scared for this little birds arrival, the weather has been on the up so that's a plus- he has enough food and millet in his travel box to feed a dozen birds/ plus a heat pack/ and water (sponge) plus fruit slices. His eyes looked healthy and bright in the photo, I do expect him to be in shock from the travel, and I am preparing his cage tonight. I guess that about sums it up, for now...I will call post office first thing in the morning, prayers he arrives safe and sound [-o<

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Phoenix811 - I can imagine how apprehensive you must be. It is a long way for such a small creature to travel. But a friend of mine breeds red faced parrot finches and owl finches and he told me he ships birds all the time and very, very rarely does something go wrong.
Please let us know after the little one has arrived.
Iso

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 am

isobea thank u for reaching out, the little guy has been in the box for 19 hours so far- my nerves are toast lol! couldn't sleep last night (pretty sure Im driving everyone else crazy along with me :shock: will post update when he arrives- his picture is beautiful btw <3 I feel like an expectant mother haha

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:26 pm

so I received my beautiful Cordon Bleu red cheeked male today, he appears much 'fuller' then photo sent, but in all fairness, as I have taken pics of him- his size changes according to angle- I would estimate he is about 6 inches/ full grown/ and 'mature', all characteristics of a sturdy finch that could withstand this snowstorm we are having! My other finch is so tiny and delicate, I was worried, but the new guy is healthy and robust, has not stopped singing and moving and adjusting very well- they are currently caged separately, so far he has about 5 different calls/songs, which is a nice surprise! I must give credit to Finch Farm, there was plenty of food fresh fruit water, and even a heat pad still warm affixed to bottom of cage- my only concern is he hasn't been drinking much water, and Im unsure if his feet are 'sore' from the travel, and he cant perch on food/water bowls, so I placed seed along the bottom of cage/ plus hung a millet spray, I also put a small bowl with water (they give u a electrolyte mix to add) ...so im just waiting to see how the bowls work out. If any one has any suggestions please let me know. He is still adapting to the new environment, but Id rather he not eat off of the floor, and also as far as fluids go- do u think he doesn't want to drink the mixture? they say specifically to give him this and not plain water so he can rehydrate from travel, but idk?

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Phoenix811 - I am so happy for you! Thank you for letting us know he made it and is in good shape. I have a blue capped cordon bleu male and I love him. He is an amazing bird: healthy, active, not shy, not aggressive at all, fits in beautifully in my mixed aviary. Most of the time his posture is one of a show bird ("look at me"). And I do love his song, too. I've been looking for a female for him for 1 1/2 years now but none are being imported from East Africa.
I don't think I would worry about his drinking too much. You have done everything you can. Follow their (the Finch Farm's) instructions and I think he'll be fine.
You will love your new guy.
Iso

PS: female RCCBs sing, too. In case you ever change your mind and decide to breed them...

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 pm

isobea yes maybe at some point I will breed, but for now, Im still 'learning'..Ive decided to name my new guy 'Shura' hes quite the stunner, very high energy and vocal, I bought small clear glass candle holders to use for his water and food bowl they have a bit of weight to them- its far less messy (since he likes to eat on the floor) the regular food/water bowls are up should he learn his way, perhaps when I house them together- for now I have the cages adjacent to one another- its really adorable watching them, hes still adjusting, but less nervous and holding eye contact with me- hes bigger then my OCWB (Im happy he has meat on him! that's why he has such vitality ;) here is a pic of him on top of the cage..ps may I ask your opinion as when I should house them together? Ive heard everything from 2 weeks to 2 months (if he is carrying an illness) but he seems quite healthy/ stool looks normal..whats your take on that?
Attachments
shura finch small size.JPG
shura finch small size.JPG (13.6 KiB) Viewed 2496 times

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 am

Be sure he is drinking water. Try using the container they used for water, if you can. Or go to a pet store and get a reptile floor feeding dish to use for water. Also, you could provide whatever type of fruit they were using. Be sure there is no lead in those candle holders. Beautiful bird!

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm

wildbird thank you! :) the glass is like a 'shot glass' is there normally lead in glass? they are perfectly clear and I checked the packaging, it just says where it is made / doesn't say how they made the glass...hes drinking out of it. The sales lady told me to call when I receive the 'package' and I did so, and have not heard back- I cannot decipher what type of fruit was in the travel box, and she said if I change their diet they could die! It looked like apple but I am not 100% (he is def large for his breed, size and weight) and I have seed they provided plus the millet they provided which he has been eating..he is very active and getting plenty of exercise, he was out flying around earlier (good speed and height) I have a bath out for him, but he doesn't seem to know what it is, frankly its as though he was just caught in the wild, and he's at least 2 yrs old (teaching an old dog new tricks) Im hoping when I house them together he will learn from my other guy..fingers crossed [-o<
*ps) the glass did not come with a candle in it and I boiled them prior to using*

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Lead would be in stained glass or the candle holder itself. The glass should be ok, as long as it is clear glass. If the lady thinks they will die if you don't feed the same diet, then she should tell you what it is. Try apple, organic if you can, as they use so much pesticide on them. If you need more good millet, you can order California Golden new crop millet from ladygouldian.com. Most birds love it. Glad to hear he is doing well.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:31 pm

wildbird thanks for your response, I was thinking apple would be ok for him, yes the glass is clear, he seems fine- but guess what?! I woke up sick this morning- (warning graphic wording) I threw up bright green bile fluid first thing this morning, not sure if there is any connection to getting a new bird on Wednesday, and me getting sick 3 days later (this was my first time ever throwing up green bile btw)..I also touched him for the first time yesterday, as he didn't know how to fly out of cage without my guidance (I washed my hands afterwards) .. I posted this as a new topic to those not following this thread, would appreciate if u have any thoughts on the topic/ or just think maybe its a coincidence..will def hold off on housing them together for at least 2 more weeks..

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:19 am

Phoenix811 I doubt you have contracted anything from your new finch, just a coincidence. Congrats on the RCCB, he is lovely. One thing you can offer him is a slice of cucumber. Most birds like it, it contains lots of liquid--I used that when I was shipping birds. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating and drinking. It is possible that your water tastes different than what he is used to. You could always use some bottled water to start with.

Most CBs love to bathe, he should do so once he is settled in. He is still adjusted from the long trip. The electrolytes help his system get back in balance, so yes, it is important that he has them. Any time you need some electrolytes, you can also use plain unflavored pedialyte.

Is he able to perch yet?
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Sally thank u for your informative feed back- yes he is able to perch, and he flies well- but his landing seems like his legs are a bit shaky- he doesn't seem to be able to perch on the plastic water dish that comes with the cage, so Ive placed various water holders on the floor- he sometimes seems as though he cant even see (?) 'blind panic' , I will try the plain unflavored pedialyte tomorrow- how many days would u recommend I keep him on electrolytes? I will also try the cucumber- he didn't even touch the apple. He was singing nonstop all day and then around 630pm it seemed like his voice was getting hoarse (?) although I see him sipping water, I notice my other finch drinks more frequently, and its a bit concerning, as Im sure his needs at this time are higher..

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Phoenix811 I wouldn't think you would need to offer electrolytes longer than a week, they are meant to replace the electrolytes in his system due to stress/dehydration. What kind of perch are you using? I like to make perches from small branches from my yard, as they are more natural and easier for the bird to grab onto IMO.

CBs do sing a lot, it is one of the things that I really love about them. He is still going through adjustment from shipment, so just let him take his time learning new things, but do keep an eye on him and let us know if anything changes.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org