Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

Post by Phoenix811 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Sally he seems a bit better today, I gave him the cucumber and Pedialite, although I noticed about 3 tiny worms when I switched out the water dish from yesterday, wondering if this is due to his droppings in the water? (the others are dried on paper towel so its hard to tell if they had worms?) I think I should get a de-wormer just to be on the safe side, although the only herbal one I found is sold in the UK, do u have any suggestions or thoughts on this? I went to the pet store by me and they didnt have anything, he was going to see if he can order something and I will check in tomorrow. (the worms were all smaller then dry pieces of rice, if that matters)
I have both plastic/wooden/and branch perches: in his temporary cage for 30 days has the plastic perches (came with) he grips them just fine as they are textured, and outside the cage in 'the flight room' I have both branch/ and wooden ones, the only grip issue he seems to be having is on the water dish, he even used the exact matching dish with food in it for the first time today! Same issue with the scratchy voice at end of day, he is singing his little heart out during the day just fine though, he is also holding eye contact better now/ less in a panic, so he is adjusting. As am I, lol ;)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 am

Phoenix811 I use Worm Away, though there are many other products on the market. Since you never know the history on birds that you don't buy directly from a breeder, it is a good idea to give them one dose of wormer, that should clear up any worms.

http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/prod ... maway.html

It is incredibly stressful for birds to be shipped, so he is having to recover from that. Sounds like he is coming along nicely.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Thank u Sally, I just ordered it from the link ..Im thinking to be on the safe side to give my other finch worm away as well (as they have been in same flight area/ although at separate times)
was also thinking of giving him lettuce (if u think that's ok)

and one last question regarding mites, Ive been searching for perhaps drops I can put in the water, I am not comfortable spraying a bird, they had something to hang on the cage at the pet store to prevent mites, but, again, Im very cautious when it comes to anything with chemicals, especially if it has not been verified by someone who has used it with their bird and confirms no side effects. Is there is anything u have tried successfully? (I hope Im not driving u crazy! I really appreciate all of your advice :) :)

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Do NOT use that thing they sell in the pet store to hang on the cage to kill mites! It will kill your bird! There are past posts about the chemicals in this device. I can't remember what topic it was under, but it was quite awhile ago. These things are very dangerous and I always tell the the pet store to remove them, if I see any for sale. I believe they contain mothballs. Toxic to birds. Unless you are sure your birds have mites, I don't see any reason to treat them.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 am

Phoenix811 If you want to treat for mites, and you don't want to have to use drops that you apply to the bird's skin, then I would suggest S76. It is a treatment you put in the water, but I would not give it until you are sure your bird is drinking regularly, as this could put him off drinking for the day. Unless you suspect mites, you really don't have to treat for them. If you decide to use S76, let me know, and I'll tell you the process for using it.

As wildbird said, don't use those things you hang on the side of the cage. I don't know why they still sell those, it really makes me mad, as no telling how many people buy those things thinking they are doing the best thing for their birds. These are poison!

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 am

wildbird thank you- I had a gut feeling about that. Sally I don't know how to be sure if he has mites, he does scratch a lot..my first finch had mites around the beak when I first got him, and they went away/ got better on their own (possibly due to change in environment, new clean food bowl, and the hundreds of baths he takes / my thumbnail pic haha) his feather quality and coloring improved...Im hoping maybe when the new guy starts bathing, he will be less 'itchy'..just a tad concerned he will pass them to my other one, just wish there was a way to know for sure. (ps his beak looks fine, no obvious signs there)

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:52 am

Sally I purchased worm away mixed with water and put in cage this morning, the instructions say to use one dose, and how much per once- but it doesn't say how long to leave the water in the cage? what do u normally do?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Phoenix811 I also answered in your other topic. I leave the treated water in all day, and then the next morning, I give them fresh water. Whenever I am giving my birds any treatment in their water, I take away their water the night before. This way, in the morning, they should be thirsty and more likely to drink the treated water. One day should be enough for worming.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 am

so the other night the new guy (cordon bleu) landed on Phoenix (ocwb) cage, they were inches apart facing one another falling asleep, it was the cutest thing, and so I decided the next day to allow them flight time together (as I normally keep them seperate) at first all seemed well- my little orange cheek waxbill Phoenix was curious of the cordon bleu (Tristan), to my surprise Tristan landed near Phoenix and then what looked like he stomped at him, Phoenix flew away and this happened a few more times including opening beaks at each other. I am very surprised the cordon bleu is so aggressive, especially since he is the 'new guy in town', although he is an amazon compared to little Phoenix (he is the largest cordon bleu male I have ever seen) more the size of a society finch, if u were to see them side by side he looks almost double, and he fluffed up the top of his head which looked like a Mohawk- obviously in retrospect I should not have allowed them to fly together so soon (hes been here for 2 1/2 weeks) but they chirp at each other and watch each other all day so I jumped the gun assuming they were bonding. Little Phoenix stood his ground when the cordon bleu tried landing on the perch to his cage (which was a david and goliath moment) I realize the cordon bleus anxiety/aggression is the same today as it was day 1-he has zero socialization skills, he is petrified of ppl-and goes into a blind panic if I just go to change his water /food or open cage door to let him fly. I have dealt with wild animals before, so his reaction is surprising- my approach is very calm and soothing, as is my voice when I speak to him. He is most def a full size adult male with a questionable background. Im not sure if it was the 36 hrs in the dark shipment box (prison) that made him this way, Ive given him his space, but I can see that it will probably take months for him to trust me (if ever) and its unlikely I can house them together, I will not jeopardize Phoenix safety. Does anyone have any advice for me? or have they had a similar situation?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:19 pm

The cordon bleu was probably housed in a completely different environment. Maybe a large outdoor aviary with it's own kind. Then captured, placed into a shipping box for hours. Now he is in an unfamiliar environment indoors and just wants to get away. He is not accustomed to people. Look at from the bird's point of view. Maybe call the breeder and find out the conditions in which he was raised to better understand why he is this way, and how you can get him better adjusted to the new living conditions.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 am

wildbird thank u for sharing that point of view with me, it really makes so much sense from that angle...unfortunately I cant call the breeder or confirm prior conditions, as I purchased from 'finch farm' which is a broker for breeders, so he is considered a 'product'... they have been fine since and continue to chirp to each other in opposite cages, I let them both fly separately for now, hes happiest when flying free..Im hoping after some time they can become friends and fly together. My goal was never to reduce his quality of life, I only hope to provide some happiness in whatever measure that I can.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 pm

He is lucky to be in a place where you allow some free flight. He could have ended up with someone who would just keep him in a small cage.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 pm

wildbird thank u :) Thank u to everyone who has taken the time to give me advice, I am so happy to have discovered this forum, first I just wanted to say my new boy has been here a little over a month now and he is adjusting well <3 Im setting up a bigger flight cage this week and am looking into some greenery- after reviewing some threads on here I learned I could use silk vines/ or faux plants used in fish tanks (?) non plastic/ non toxic, Ive searched amazon.com and have a few ideas but would love any tried and true suggestions- (keeping in mind this is for a cage for 2 finch birds/ not an out door aviary) ps) my first finch is from the pet store and wouldnt know what greenery is, however the second guy is most def from an outdoor aviary. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:07 am

Your birds will always enjoy some free flight, especially the one from an outdoor aviary. Providing real tree branches, like dragonwood or branches from bird safe trees in your yard will help to make it more woodsy. I wash the branches with white vinegar and water and rinse well before using them for perches. Many birds enjoy a swing placed close to the side of the cage, out of the flight path. You can put some oat spray in there too. Petsmart and DrsFosterSmith.com sells it 800-443-1160. Put some lava rock or sandstone on the floor or in a foraging container. I use a flat reptile feeding dish as a foraging container. Add some seed to it. They will enjoy dried herbs and fresh greens too.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:08 am

Yes birds love having leafy branches to hide and play amongst! Usually leaves don’t last long in my avaries tho :wink:
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds