Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi:) I got my first finch in sept/2017 and have been searching for a companion since- due to the destruction in Puerto Rico (which is our primary importer here in NY) there hasn't been many new birds coming through. I was extremely reluctant to purchase a living animal over the internet, and FinchFarm kept popping up everywhere on ads in multiple sites etc- I figured I would give them a shot, the reviews there seemed positive. After having made my order, I realized, in retrospect I should have researched further regarding reviews on the web (not just from the sellers/ who will post only positive reviews) to my dismay there were negative feedback on bird sites and also a thread on here which gave mixed reviews, the most recent date being 2014. Has anyone ordered or know of any experience since then? They just sent me an additional invoice today (after being charged $160 for bird, safety box and antibiotic) new invoice does not state what the additional cost is for (?) even though it is only $16 - its poor business practice to have hidden costs pop up after original purchase is complete. Secondly, its been brought to may attention they are Brokers and not breeders- so although they claim to have 20 in stock of my bird, Ive seen several posts indicative of false advertising and now I am very scared as to the health/and type of bird they maybe shipping... any advice??[ #-o

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Hi I am a new finch Mama, just ordered from FinchFarm

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi there! I have never heard of finch farm sorry, but I hope your little zeb turns up healthy and in good condition! Wow that is very expensive! Are you planning to breed Zebs?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 pm

thank u for your response flight feathers :) no, Im not planning on breeding ANYTHING- Im still in the learning phase lol- yes, the price is a bit steep due to the travel case (which costs more than the bird) it comes with a heat source (due to weather conditions) and electrolytes for days following arrival- which is a nice touch in ensuring the birds safety. Hopefully all goes well. Just got a bad vibe that they are springing hidden costs on me after original purchase and claiming they cant 'release shipment without payment' yet not tell me what the payment is for (I already paid the $160) displaying poor business management skills before the bird has even left the facility is a Red Flag in my book. :?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Did you order a waxbill?

I made two shipments in 2014, for Gouldians, orange-cheek waxbills, a cutthroat and a society. I had really bad luck with the Goulds, one of the pair I ordered arrived sick and soon died. It was replaced and the replacement also died. I then got a full refund. The surviving original gould was fine... but was a female, and I had ordered a male.

The waxbills, society and cutthroat were in good health, and had no issues. I ordered in early autumn, I'd be worried to do it this time of year with the cold though.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Flight Feathers wrote: Hi there! I have never heard of finch farm sorry, but I hope your little zeb turns up healthy and in good condition! Wow that is very expensive! Are you planning to breed Zebs?
Oh sorry I just assumed you had odered a zeb... Zebs on the brain lol! What kind of finch did you order?

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Phoenix811 wrote: thank u for your response flight feathers :) no, Im not planning on breeding ANYTHING- Im still in the learning phase lol- yes, the price is a bit steep due to the travel case (which costs more than the bird) it comes with a heat source (due to weather conditions) and electrolytes for days following arrival- which is a nice touch in ensuring the birds safety. Hopefully all goes well. Just got a bad vibe that they are springing hidden costs on me after original purchase and claiming they cant 'release shipment without payment' yet not tell me what the payment is for (I already paid the $160) displaying poor business management skills before the bird has even left the facility is a Red Flag in my book. :?
Well I hope all goes well!! Let use know what your new finch is like!

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Sheather I may have read your story, or one like it in another thread from 2014 (where they sent wrong sex and gould died/ replacement died) that's pretty horrible, Im sorry u had to go through that.. Flight Feathers I ordered a rc cb as they are both waxbills and the same size, Ive heard they get along, if not I will cage separately...I know society finches get along with everyone, however I did try one which was 3x the size and mine was terribly scared- as when I got him he was housed with a dozen zebra finches and he was the only orange cheeked waxbill, the tiniest one of the group and they were quite aggressive to him his foot was injured as they would peck it and knock him off perch he was in a state of duress and took a while to not look over his shoulder every time he grabbed a seed from his feeding dish, hes been alone the past couple of months and is now very calm yet active, I have perches set up in every corner of the room, and leave youtube bird videos on that he chirps along with/ flies about- but its time for a real live feathered friend :) I pray everything works out with finch farm as there are no waxbills left in NY at any of the pet stores/ breeders, and no set date for any new ones coming in..

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Phoenix811 wrote: Sheather I may have read your story, or one like it in another thread from 2014 (where they sent wrong sex and gould died/ replacement died) that's pretty horrible, Im sorry u had to go through that.. Flight Feathers I ordered a rc cb as they are both waxbills and the same size, Ive heard they get along, if not I will cage separately...I know society finches get along with everyone, however I did try one which was 3x the size and mine was terribly scared- as when I got him he was housed with a dozen zebra finches and he was the only orange cheeked waxbill, the tiniest one of the group and they were quite aggressive to him his foot was injured as they would peck it and knock him off perch he was in a state of duress and took a while to not look over his shoulder every time he grabbed a seed from his feeding dish, hes been alone the past couple of months and is now very calm yet active, I have perches set up in every corner of the room, and leave youtube bird videos on that he chirps along with/ flies about- but its time for a real live feathered friend :) I pray everything works out with finch farm as there are no waxbills left in NY at any of the pet stores/ breeders, and no set date for any new ones coming in..
Oh okay, well I hope everything goes well with your new finch!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Sounds like your current finch has a great home and is cared for very well!!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 am

Phoenix811

Welcome to the Forum.

I have never ordered birds over the internet.

Some people have good experiences, some don't, so it's difficult to really comment on this outfit and others like it.

If I were you, I would try to look up and contact Pet Bird Clubs and Groups in your area, who would be able to put you in touch with breeders in your vicinity. That way you can meet the breeder and get to see the birds before bringing them home.

When your new baby arrives, I would highly recommend a period of quarantine, before introducing this new bird to your older bird.

Good luck and enjoy your birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Thank u Elana, I will look into that- Im grateful for discovering this forum which helps point me in a more informed direction...yes, I plan to quarantine, some say 2 weeks, others say 1 month..what do u recommend?

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

I've had one very negative, and one positive from Finch Farm.

Ordered a BLUE gouldian Cock, and the sent me a Hen, who was in the middle of a molt, and ovbiously sick. She died less than a week later. I feel like they should know better than to ship a molting bird, especially a delicate one like a blue gouldian.

They sent me another bird, this time a green back, because they were out of blues. It arrived OK, but had to push to get the difference in price between a green and blue bird refunded.

I ordered 2 pair of owl finches, and had a friend who was in Washington pick the up for me, so they didnt need shipping. That worked out ok.

I will probably never purchase from them again.

What kind of bird did you order? There are a LOT of breeders who will ship, you'd probably have better luck with a breeder.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Phoenix811 wrote: Thank u Elana, I will look into that- Im grateful for discovering this forum which helps point me in a more informed direction...yes, I plan to quarantine, some say 2 weeks, others say 1 month..what do u recommend?
3 months minimum, especially from a broker like finch farm.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:39 pm

wilkifam omg I don't know what to do, Ive been searching for breeders online, http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradn.htm and Im sending emails, I am either not getting any response, or they do not have birds etc- I ordered a red check cordon blue from finchfarm - I specifically chose this finch after reading about them sending the wrong sex and its pretty impossible to confuse this one and it should get along with my orange cheek waxbill. Im strongly considering cancelling my order as it will not be ready for about a month, and I may be able to find a breeder within that time...

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Phoenix811 There are two bird clubs affiliated with NFSS in the New York area. One is the Astoria Bird Club:

https://www.facebook.com/AstoriaBirdClub

And the other is the New York Finch & Type Canary Club. I can't find contact information for them, but they meet the 2nd Sunday at Averill Blvd. Park, Elmont (Long Island), New York.

If you are in the western New York area, check out this group:

https://www.facebook.com/International- ... 541276100/

It is always best to buy from a breeder IMO, as then you can get a history on the bird. The trouble with buying from a broker is that they often have purchased birds wholesale from breeders, and they can't tell you any history on the bird. Unless it is closed banded, you have no idea if it has been bred in the U.S. or is a wild-caught, if that is important to you.

Welcome to the forum!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org