Zebra finch diet and cockatiel diet

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Zebra finch diet and cockatiel diet

Post by animalobsessed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 pm

sorry in advance for any punctuation/vocabulary flaws =P~

so i know this is a finch forum, but i noticed a lot of members have cockatiels so i think a couple questions of cockatiels will be fine. I just have a couple question, promise i won't fill this forum with questions about other birds :)

Ok, zebra finch diet:
lafeber's finch pellets
veggies/fruits daily
Millet spray at least once a week
cuttlebone 24/7

Do i need to add anything else? Do i need to add protein to their diet?

Cockatiel diet:
Lafeber's cockatiel pellets
Veggies/fruits daily
Millet spray at least once a week
Cuttlebone 24/7

Do i need to add anything? Do i need to add protein?

Of course both birds will have access to fresh, clean water at all times

Questions about both:
Do i need to add grit to their diet?
Do i need to add vitamins?

thanks in advance! :)
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

Finnie
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Zebra finch diet and cockatiel diet

Post by Finnie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Hm, 2 1/2 hours, and nobody has answered your question. I'll take a stab at it, even though I am pretty much just a lurker on this forum. (Been raising birds for 9 years.)

There are two camps on the subject of pellet vs seed diet. There are pellet-only folks and there are seed-feeding folks. It's completely up to you which camp you choose. But personally I feel bad for a bird that is forced to eat kibbles every day and rarely any seeds. I think a good seed mix with a nice variety of seeds would supply plenty of protein for normal maintenance, with a little added hard boiled egg food occasionally. For molting and breeding needs, hard boiled egg food could then be increased to daily.

If their diet is balanced (seeds, fresh foods, pellets), then a vitamin supplement should be unnecessary. Except for breeding birds, who have extra demands on their bodies. Then a good multivitamin with extra D and calcium is beneficial.

They don't need granite grit per se, but mineral grit is a great idea. The cuttle bone is good, and I always make sure my cages have a mineral block as well.

If I've left anything out, hopefully more people will chime in soon.
-Finnie

34 Budgies
13 Gouldian Finches
13 Society Finches
6 Owl Finches
4 Yellow Face Star finches
16 Bourke's Parakeets
4 Cockatiels

5 chickens!

OMG this signature is so outdated! Make that 50 chickens!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 pm

animalobsessed

As far as the finches go, they should have some form of protein (egg: boiled, scrambled, or powdered) 1-3 times a week, more often when they are moulting, and every day if breeding.

Some birds will eat pellets; however, they generally prefer seeds. Finch seed mixes with white proso millet are usually good.

Finches usually aren't terribly keen on fruit, though offering some occasionally should be fine. Just avoid avocados, as they are toxic to birds.

Vegetables don't have to be offered every day, though that should work so long as they don't get diarrhea. My finches like broccoli and ferns the most, followed by spinach, peas, and corn. There is controversy over frequently feeding dark leafy greens, as they may interfere with calcium absorption; only feed them a few times a week to be safe.

Spray millet isn't necessary, though they do enjoy it. It's particularly good for adults to feed their chicks.

Some birds like cuttlebone, while others don't. If your birds don't, they may eat crushed and baked eggshell or ground oyster shell instead.

True grit is not necessary for birds that hull their seed, so do not provide true grit. Most things marketed as grit for pet birds are forms of calcium (usually ground shells), and can be provided in a dish for the birds to eat as they like.

Vitamins are not usually necessary, especially when pellets and seed mixes often contain supplements. Vitamins are also largely unregulated, and often do not contain what they say they do. Giving them more supplements could lead to toxicity; fat-soluble vitamins have the highest risk of overdose. If you do use vitamins, either follow the directions, or use less than specified. I mixed a small amount of powdered multivitamins into a batch of ground boiled eggs and keep it in my freezer.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 am

Both my cockatiels and finches eat seed. Never fed pellets before. Vege and fruit is good. Cuttle bone is definitely a must! Grit is not necessary for birds and it can actually harm them! I would not recommend feeding grit.

My cockatiels and finches eat:

A variety of seeds,
Silver beet, chickweed, Apple (not sure how much they like apple), peas in a pod, and they have had corn once or twice (a very rare treat)
I try to feed them fruit or veg every day or every second day.
Cuttle bone is always supplied.
They also have special tonic bells they get sometimes.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 am

animalobsessed

Welcome to the forum =D> I agree with Finnie Icearstorm

Flight Feathers

Dont feed them fruit everyday. A 1-2x a week fruit treat is fine. Too much sugar isn't good for anyone ;)

Finches need, crave and want.....seeds. It's what they eat in the wild. It should be the main component of their diet.

Pellets contain vitamins but its introduced in a way like Fruit-Loops or Co-co Puff cereals. Would you consider this a primary healthy diet for a human? corn, soybean meal, wheat flour, oat groats, cane molasses, dried whole egg, canola oil, dicalcium phosphate , ground limestone, iodized salt, citric acid, dl-methionine (an essential amino acid), l-lysine (an essential amino acid), vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid,

Lets look at the calcium ingredient in pellets (dicalcium phosphate) and I will quote:

"Dicalcium phosphate is a calcium supplement commonly found in prepared breakfast cereals, in pharmaceuticals as an inert ingredient to bind tablets, and in toothpastes." However, too much dicalcium phosphate However, too much dicalcium phosphate, or dicalcium phosphate taken in conjunction with other medications, can have negative consequences "(we dont KNOW what medications/supplements this pertains to)

Inert is KEY word here = Chemically INACTIVE
synonyms: unmoving, motionless, immobile, inanimate, still, stationary, static

What this may mean is the "calcium" ingredient is THERE, but its not an ACTIVE ingredient and combined with some mystery ingredients may cause problems. A guaranteed way to get pure calcium to your finches is eggshells (calcium) ground into boiled eggs (vitD). I've praised it in the past many times for many of us that keep indoor finches that dont have access to natural sunlight.

1. A good mixture of healthy finch seed mix

2. Access to a supply of calcium/Vit D 3-4 times a week if finches kept indoors without full spectrum light via crushed shells and boiled egg (given while breeding or molting) or liquid calcium/vitamin d (used as directed!!!).

3 Leafy greens like kale, swiss chard, broccolli heads. lovezebs Elana has a wonderful list of healthy produce for finches with their nutrients.

4. Forage foods that help finches exercise. Some have created forage boxes filled with stones, grasses & twigs (cleaned free from pests). This is fantastic for exercise and a good mental work-out. I myself make sure I hang my millet sprigs from the ceilings of my flights loosely so my finches have to balance, swing like monkeys and pull HARD to get a nibble. I do it by safely fastening the millet with clothespins in a way that causes the millet to be free to swing in a pendulum type motion. Keep the finches safety in mind and make sure the clothespin is on the outside of the flight and will not harm them in any way.

5. Cuttlebone is always present at all times. My hens know when they need it always before I do. And a hen chewing a cuttlebone like a starving hyena for over a day, is a SURE SIGN your hen is going to lay eggs. So it helps the hen, and signals me "Eggs!!! incoming!!"

6. Pellets or vitamin drops can be offered if you think there is something in your finches diet they lack, but you may not be able to offer. I use liquid multi-vitamins 3 times a week . My finches will not eat pellets. Since your finches eat pellets, I would give them a dish of their normal brand of pellets instead of daily to 2x times a week in a dish next to their normal food if you are going to introduce any other chemical supplements.

This in no way guarantees perfect nutrition or health. Heck we cant even guarantee that in humans.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:48 am

Babs wrote: animalobsessed

Flight Feathers

Dont feed them fruit everyday. A 1-2x a week fruit treat is fine. Too much sugar isn't good for anyone ;)

Finches need, crave and want.....seeds. It's what they eat in the wild. It should be the main component of their diet.

Pellets contain vitamins but its introduced in a way like Fruit-Loops or Co-co Puff cereals. Would you consider this a primary healthy diet for a human?

Lets look at the calcium ingredient in pellets (dicalcium phosphate) and I will quote:

"Dicalcium phosphate is a calcium supplement commonly found in prepared breakfast cereals, in pharmaceuticals as an inert ingredient to bind tablets, and in toothpastes." However, too much dicalcium phosphate taken in conjunction with other supplements that contain the same ingredient (contain vitamin D/calcium, can have negative consequences).
So, we see here pellets are ok, but should never substitute their primary diet.

2. Access to a supply of calcium/Vit D 3-4 times a week if finches kept indoors without full spectrum light via crushed shells and boiled egg (given while breeding or molting) or liquid calcium/vitamin d (used as directed!!!).

3 Leafy greens like kale, swiss chard, broccolli heads. lovezebs Elana has a wonderful list of healthy produce for finches with their nutrients.

4. Forage foods that help finches exercise. Some have created forage boxes filled with stones, grasses & twigs (cleaned free from pests). This is fantastic for exercise and a good mental work-out. I myself make sure I hang my millet sprigs from the ceilings of my flights loosely so my finches have to balance, swing like monkeys and pull HARD to get a nibble. I do it by safely fastening the millet with clothespins in a way that causes the millet to be free to swing in a pendulum type motion.

5. Cuttlebone is always present at all times. My hens know when they need it always before I do. And a hen chewing a cuttlebone like a starving hyena for over a day, is a SURE SIGN your hen is going to lay eggs. So it helps the hen, and signals me "Eggs!!! incoming!!"

6. Pellets or vitamin drops can be offered if you think there is something in your finches diet they lack, but you may not be able to offer. I use liquid multi-vitamins 3 times a week . My finches will not eat pellets. Since your finches eat pellets, I would give them a dish of their normal brand of pellets instead of daily to 2x times a week in a dish next to their normal food if you are going to introduce any other chemical supplements.

This in no way guarantees perfect nutrition or health. Heck we cant even guarantee that in humans.
No they don't get fruit very often at all. Sometimes they get Apple about once a month or so. I usually just give them silver beet and chickweed every day or two.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:50 am

Babs wrote: animalobsessed

Flight Feathers

Pellets contain vitamins but its introduced in a way like Fruit-Loops or Co-co Puff cereals. Would you consider this a primary healthy diet for a human?

"Dicalcium phosphate is a calcium supplement commonly found in prepared breakfast cereals, in pharmaceuticals as an inert ingredient to bind tablets, and in toothpastes." However, too much dicalcium phosphate taken in conjunction with other supplements that contain the same ingredient (contain vitamin D/calcium, can have negative consequences).
So, we see here pellets are ok, but should never substitute their primary diet.

4. Forage foods that help finches exercise. Some have created forage boxes filled with stones, grasses & twigs (cleaned free from pests). This is fantastic for exercise and a good mental work-out. I myself make sure I hang my millet sprigs from the ceilings of my flights loosely so my finches have to balance, swing like monkeys and pull HARD to get a nibble. I do it by safely fastening the millet with clothespins in a way that causes the millet to be free to swing in a pendulum type motion. Keep the finches safety in mind and make sure the clothespin is on the outside of the flight and will not harm them in any way.

@Babs I agree with everything you said. I am not keen on feeding birds pellets myself, so have never bought them before.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 am

Flight Feathers

I had to edit a few keypoints in my original post you quoted. It's important to see what "inert" means. You may enjoy scanning it again :wink: .

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 am

Babs wrote: Flight Feathers

I had to edit a few keypoints in my original post you quoted. It's important to see what "inert" means. You may enjoy scanning it again :wink: .
Sorry, "Inert" ...?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:52 am

What did you change?

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:53 am

Okay now I see it, I was reading the quoted post lol #-o

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:44 am

I am in the pellet camp. My various birds have been on a 50/50 seed and pellet diet w/ greens and egg food for years with good results.

My finches and my cockatiels, when I had them, were fed an identical diet. It always changed a little but equated to roughly half pellets, half seed as far as what was always available in the bowl, greens and broccoli daily, sweet corn every few weeks, egg food occasionally (daily when breeding, every couple days during heavy molts, weekly or every couple weeks at other times).

My finches and tiels ate the exact same seed mix of white millet, red millet, sunflower chips and canary seed. Sometimes they got hemp seed too. Millet spray can be offered a few times a week, it's not really bad for them, just unbalanced so don't feed it exclusively. The bulk of any seed mix is millet of some type or another.

Most birds ignore pellets if they have seed available, so I alternately fill the dish with one and only add the other when the last serving is gone. Though lately I prefer keeping pellets always available and providing a little seed every day scattered around for them to forage for.
~Dylan

~~~

animalobsessed
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by animalobsessed » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 am

Ok thank you all very much! I will take all your comments into consideration :)
Chloe - 2 year old chihuahua
Banana - 1 year old crested gecko
Penelope - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Zane - zebra finch (age unknown, likely around 1)
Takisumi - juvenile double tail betta fish
Alex - 2 year old veilltail betta fish
la negra - adult guppy fish

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 am

Flight Feathers

Hee hee ;)) I messed you up by editing it after you quoted me. Sorry about that. :wink:

Australian finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Australian finch » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm

I give my finches a good quality finch seed. They get millet sprays which I replenish twice a week which they attack as soon as I put them in the cage. During breeding season I alway make sure they have eggs and biscuit mix available.
They occasionally get broccoli and cauliflower but I find they are not keen on them and most times I remove them untouched. The same thing happens with the apple and pear that I give them about twice a month.
I have never given pullets and most of the breeders I have contact with here in Western Australia don't give pellets either.
Wishing you well with your birds.
8 Gouldians.
Elvis (RHPB)and Priscilla (BHWB),
Wilma (RHPB) and Fred (RHWB),
Betty (RHPB) and Barney (OHPB),
Carmen (BHPB) and Charlie (OHPB),
1 toy poodle, Ruby (red)
1 Ragdoll Cat, Memphis (blue seal point)