Finch Advise

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
AlliZ
Pip
Pip

Finch Advise

Post by AlliZ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Hey,
Long story short I bought 2 society finches, and they had babies I now have 5 in total and a huge new flight cage. I have some questions...

I’ve read that all of them will be ok in a large cage, is this true...what are your experiences?

I have 5 finches which is an odd number I have read about something called odd ball out syndrome...is this a real thing? Should I purchase another finch? I really wanna get a canary would that be ok as the 6th bird??

I have purchased an avian light as I live in Ontario and the weather here sucks...how long do they need this on a day?

I know I must take the nest out, so I don’t end up with more babies...I feel bad taking it out as hey all sleep in there at night....anyone with experience taking eggs out, how does that work? Also could I purchase a bigger nest and switch it out for the other so they have more room??

Sorry for so many questions, everywhere I read, everything says something different!!

Thank you for your help!!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Finch Advise

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 pm

AlliZ

Society finches are some of the few birds that usually do well in odd numbers; I have heard of some people having issues with odd-numbered groups of societies, but this seems uncommon. I have seven in a flight cage, and they get along well.

I've never kept canaries, but have heard that they are usually compatible with passive finches. However, the canary probably will not bond with any of the society finches.

The birds should ideally get light that varies with the seasons, with several hours more light in summer than winter. Canaries are extremely light-dependent; if you get one, it would be good to keep the hours of light/photoperiod synched with that of the Canary Islands.

The society finches don't need a nest. If you remove the eggs, the hens will probably lay more, putting them at risk for egg-binding; you could replace their eggs with fakes, though this may not work, either. If they have trouble sleeping while perched, you could try installing a shelf for them and removing all nesting material so they lie down without trying to breed. All of my birds sleep on a perch.
Attachments
My flight cage
My flight cage

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:33 pm

My mother raised Bengalese (societies) and they never got along in odd numbers. Nor have any of mine, unless the odd number is 1 - and he's lonely. I've just not had the heart to try to go out and replace his mate, who was one of my original 2 birds.

I'll grant you they're not as bad as zebras in odd numbers, but its still a problem.

However potential inbreeding is now a problem. You either need to toss eggs when laid, stop them breeding, separate them out, trade or sell the children. If the children are all male, removing them to another cage and adding another male is one option though that gives you only 2 pairs in that cage. That would be a problem with zebras, not sure about societies. I've always either had one pair to a cage, or 3 or more pairs in a larger cage. I cannot recall ever having 2 pair in the same cage.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Never had an issue with odd-numbered society finches that were related.
I have three now, parents and a grown son.
I have had at some point or another all combinations, and only ever saw aggression between unrelated males when they were sitting on eggs. Once the eggs hatched, they all fed each other's babies, and they roosted in the same nest after the babies fledged.

I would remove the nest, mine haven't had one since October, and they've done well perching at night. Nests just make the hens lay eggs and if you just remove them, they deplete themselves laying new ones.

Canaries are usually good with societies but not always. Certain canaries may be too territorial. My neighbor's new canary recently killed one of hers, but it was in a crowded smaller cage. My two canaries have lived with my societies for a year, and I've had the two species caged together before with no problems.

If you get a canary, research their lighting needs. Unlike tropical finches, they must be maintained on a light cycle matching the changing seasonal day length to stay in good condition, or else they develop many issues, go bald, and stop singing.
~Dylan

~~~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 am

Just look at poor tailless Bambi. He was the odd man out in his cage at the store. Those tail feathers are permanently damaged and will never grow back in, ever. I've had him for over 2 years now, if they were coming back in they'd be back in by now.

Societies DO pick on each other. My first pair (both gone now) were store rescues, every bird in the cage was picking on poor Molly Brown except for Pyewacket, so I took them both. Or maybe it was Pyewacket being picked on by everyone but Molly Brown, I can't remember just now. I'm up with a very sick dog ATM. Yes, conditions in stores are far less than ideal - but societies DO pick on each other.

Besides which, finches really NEED to be paired. I'm going to have to get over Pyewacket's death and get Bambi another friend soon, he's so lonely. I've been hesitant to get another bird because of the way Pyewacket died, it turned out she had a brain tumor, which was undoubtedly the cause of her incessant egg laying the last couple of months of her life and also what killed her eye. It was horrible. I'm terrified I'll get another female who will lay herself to death. One lost to egg binding and one to a tumor. But he really needs a bird friend. Anyway.

Even if the other birds don't pick on the odd one out, which is doubtful, he or she will be lonely. It doesn't matter if they are all from the "same family", birds are not like that. They grow up and become sexually mature and then things go to **** in a handbasket. Societies aren't USUALLY likely to actually kill each other, but just look at poor Bambi for how fast things can go south. Bambi is my avatar picture. All that happened between store opening and lunch. His cage mates plucked him bloody. He had to be removed to a separate cage where he languished for months by himself in the back before I showed up and got him. He couldn't even fly when I got him, he used to sort of throw himself at the side of the cage and climb around.

I only have 3 birds now (Bambi the lonely Society and 2 parakeets) but I've had and been responsible for dozens in the past. I used to keep cockatiels when I lived in Puerto Rico (had to leave them when I left there due to quarantine regulations).

The odd finch out will be lonely and unhappy AT BEST. When things go south, they can go south fast. Again, Bengalese/societies are not as bad as Zebras or many other finch breeds - but don't take the chance. A canary will probably get along with a few societies as long as the cage is REALLY large, like at least 36" wide and 40 or more tall, but he or she WILL NOT be a companion for your odd man out. Canaries can get really aggressive and again that can come on suddenly. You won't know anything about the temperament of the particular bird until you get it home. Honestly I would not keep a canary in with other birds for several reasons (one of which, I would have to admit, is that they are so expensive and I can't afford to buy one, LOL!)

But really the major danger to the odd bird out will be from the other societies, and from the loneliness of not having a pair match. It would be unusual for it NOT to be a problem.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:05 am

I've got societies in an odd number now, but I have 11, so there's someone for everyone and then some. Have had anywhere from 2-14 in the past, mix of males and females. Generally, in a large enough cage they do fine, societies are usually pretty easy-going. Occasionally you get a mean one, or a tail-plucker, but mostly they are just happy to be with anyone and everyone.

Stores now sell any cage bigger than a water bottle as a "flight cage" since they know that's the favorable buzz word for keeping birds. How big is your cage, actual measurements? If big enough, your birds will most likely be fine.

Do take out the nest. Right now. Just do it. Birds do not NEED a nest to sleep. Wild birds use nests to raise young. Once the young are gone, the parents abandon the nest, too. (I live in the woods. We see this all the time.) You will find that your finches will all cluster together on the same perch or area at night, and sleep just fine. If you want, put fake plants all around one corner, top and sides, with a perch in that corner, to make a little sheltered place for them to sleep in. Mine like this corner perch I got, it's a series of wooden bars going diagonally across the corner, so they can all cluster there side by side, but since it's perches not a flat shelf, no nesting or egg laying.

If you get a canary, you will need to watch closely. Sometimes canaries live fine with finches. Other times, being so much bigger, they can and will harm them, even kill them. Be prepared that you might have to move the canary to its own cage.

Your little society family should do just fine together, if the cage is big enough. You do want to prevent further breeding by removing the nest and anything they could use as a nest. First, you will soon be overrun with societies, and second, societies are neither faithful nor respect family relations, and you could be getting father-daughter mother-son matings.

Something else that helps keep groups of finches living together happily is to add some fake greenery to the cage. I used to use cloth/silk plants and vines, but found the birds shredded the leaves, so now I use plastic. Draping some greenery across perches (hanging down from above) breaks them up into separate areas for a little privacy when a finch is tired of playing with the others. Around the edges and tops of the cage, it gives them a feeling of protection (not being out in open air where a hawk or something might eat them) and comfort.

Just keep an eye on them as they grow to adulthood, they will most likely do fine. If you see problems, then you can adjust as necessary.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:45 pm

AlliZ

Your Societies will be fine together.

I would however remove the nest because they will all breed together, parents, children, siblings, etc.

You can offer them a sleeping platform, so they can all snuggle together, and remove any stray eggs that pop up.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~