Questions About Selecting Zebra Finches From a Pet Store

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Questions About Selecting Zebra Finches From a Pet Store

Post by Amazon1610 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:26 pm

I live close to a pet store, and have purchased birds from there in the past, all budgies. I have been lucky as I did not know what exactly to look for when observing them to ensure that I chose the healthiest and liveliest birds back then. So far my budgies are happy and healthy.

But I plan on purchasing a pair of zebra finches from the store in the future. I'd like to ask some questions of my fellow finch forum members regarding the process of selecting the healthiest possible bird from the store. I've done some basic research on this, but I'd like some solid and relatable answers from folks who own or have owned zebra finches in the past.

1. What are some common illnesses in zebra finches that might be present in those housed in a pet store?

2. What are some of the signs to look for of an unhealthy bird at a pet store?

3. Typically, how old are zebra finches when they are stocked at a pet store?

4. How often to pet stores typically restock birds?

5. Is there a way to predict whether a certain pair of zebra finches will get along while observing them in the pet store?

6. Is it possible for birds in general to develop mental illnesses from the (possible) trauma of handling and transportation to a pet store? If so, what are the signs of this distress.

7. Where do pet stores acquire their birds from? Breeders?

8. Generally, what is the best procedure for selecting any bird at a pet store.

I hope these questions are reasonable and relatable to the topic and any answers to these particular questions as well as any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all

-Rob

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Questions About Selecting Zebra Finches From a Pet Store

Post by Sheather » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:31 pm

My first word of advice about zebra finches is... pick any other species, these are usually very aggressive, miserable little birds! Society finches are a much better choice for a beginner with finches.

But if you're willing to deal with the possibility of plucking, ripping out eachother's feathers, the occasional murder, constant eggs and babies if you have a pair (and occasionally the murder of those babies), and the world's least melodic bird song (sounds like a bicycle horn, nonstop and without any melody)... maybe zebras are for you.

Look for birds that are calm and snuggling together, it means they're probably compatible. Avoid any chasing the others (too aggressive) or puffed up and asleep (sick.) If any are sitting on the cage floor puffed it's a very bad sign. Don't buy a bird from a cage with even one unwell bird as it could be catchy.

The best chance for a peaceful pairing is two females, this also avoids dealing with constant chicks and a population explosion, but they will still lay eggs, even without a nest basket.

Pet shops get their finches from either local hobby breeders (local stores and usually also Petland) or large bird mills that breed by the thousands and ship across the country (Petco and PetSmart.) The birds from the small shops are usually better cared for and less likely to have illnesses.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:53 pm

I definitely can't say I agree with sheather. My zebs are all lovely wee things. Never have much fighting at all. Their beeps are just the cutest wee noises. I don't know how anyone couldn't like them! And believe me I have a lot of Zebs too. I never tire of their constant beeps. And the males songs are lovely too. As for fighting, if there is fighting I am sure there wouldn't be much (if any) especially as you will only have one pair. Never had parents kill the babies and never had finches kill each other. Plus I'm sure any type of birds could kill each other and their babies! If they do fight it's not hard to sell the territorial zeb and buy another anyway. Or at least where I am Zebs are in pretty high demand!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 pm

As for choosing a healthy zeb, don't go for one that's all puffed up and sleepy. Go for the zeb that sits up on its perch has bright eyes and seems alert. Also go for the bigger Zebs. Don't go for a small flighty zeb unless you really like the small flighty ones. Also go for ones with orange/red beaks, wouldn't recommend buying one with a pale pink or grey beak as they could be too young to even be sold. Hope this is helpful!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Agree with Sheather re:zebs. Societies would be a calmer choice to start with.
But to each his own.

If you really have to have them, Zebs are so common that I would look for a home breeder. They often have trouble getting rid of chicks so they should be cheap -and you can see the conditions in which they were raised. Who knows where the pet store gets their birds.
Try Craigslist or some other on line ads.

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks to you all. Rest assured that I'll be putting in more research and consideration, but this information definitely helped me.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:50 am

I agree with sheather society’s are much better they are calm have great personalities and get along with anything I would suggest these over an finch
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Amazon1610
Pip
Pip

Post by Amazon1610 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:52 pm

Fraza wrote: I agree with sheather society’s are much better they are calm have great personalities and get along with anything I would suggest these over an finch
Thank you I'll be sure to consider society finches as well.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Amazon1610 yeh I hope you do good luck anyway and don’t forget to post what you get I’d like to see what u decided :mrgreen:
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3