Beginner/Newbie Questions....!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Triscuit
Pip
Pip

Beginner/Newbie Questions....!

Post by Triscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello! I have some beginner-type questions, and hope you lovely people can help me!

I've always loved finches, but have never owned one. In fact, I've never owned any birds! I am a vet tech, though, and I am comfortable with all types of animals - I've had dogs, cats, Ryukin Goldfish, horses, hamsters, and mice. I feel confident I can care for birds, but I don't want to rush into this without doing my research.

I'm sorry if these questions are very ignorant!

1. We know that dogs found for sale in large chain pet stores are the product of puppy mills. Is it the same for birds?

2. Is there any problem with having dogs and finches in the same household? Obviously they wouldn't interact, but is noise/dog hair and dander a concern, at all?

3. In the event I have to relocate due to a job, is it difficult to move birds cross-country via car? Is it terribly stressful?

4. Are there certain climates that finches shouldn't be kept in? I currently live in a humid climate, but may end up moving to a more arid one.

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Beginner/Newbie Questions....!

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 pm

1. Sometimes. It depends on the store and stuff like that.
2. I haven't found any problems between my dog and my birds health wise but my little dog doesn't like my birds.
3. It's not difficult if you know what your doing. It can be stressful for the birds sometimes. All depends on the bird, length of the trip, and other variables.
4. Don't keep them in areas that are too cold or dark. They need light and heat to be healthy.

Any other questions? It helps if your location is in your profile of a general area of where you are.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Also welcome to the forum.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

Triscuit
Pip
Pip

Post by Triscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:43 pm

Wow, thank you for the speedy reply!

I am currently in NW Kentucky, right on the river, and it's quite humid here in summer.

Do you have any suggestions on particular books regarding the care of finches?

I've found many websites but I am leery of some information on the internet - at least with other species, the validity and correctness of information online can vary wildly.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Triscuit

1. Yes, this is often the case. A few minutes of research usually clears it up. If you're in the US, avoid buying animals from Pet Supermarket, PetCo, or PetSmart (all source from animal mill Sun Pet, if I remember correctly).

2. That shouldn't be a problem. It's a good idea to keep the birds in a relatively quiet area with little traffic, but there shouldn't be any specific concerns regarding dogs.

3. It depends on your plans and the environment the birds will be in. Some birds get motion sick, but covering the cage with a thin sheet usually helps; just be sure it doesn't make the cage too dark for them to eat and drink.

4. Are you keeping the birds inside? If so, you shouldn't run into many issues, so long as they have adequate lighting and warmth. Australian species, like gouldians, can survive in both humid and arid regions quite well. Other finches aren't as used to extreme humidity, but should still do okay. As a rule, birds are not nearly as humidity-dependent as other exotic pets, such as reptiles. So long as the transition from humid to arid isn't instantaneous, they should be fine.

What species are you considering, and how many?

Triscuit
Pip
Pip

Post by Triscuit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 am

Oh, yes, I would be keeping them inside, for sure!

As far as species, I am not entirely sure, yet, though I must admit that I find the Owl Finch stunning.

I would probably plan on a pair - is that usually a wise decision? However, I am not looking to breed.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 am

Triscuit finches will breed like crazy if you buy a Male and female pie so if u want a pair I would suggest two males as they sing, can’t get egg bound and have better characteristics they like making nests together etc

Anyway welcome to the forum and I think u will be fine having finches it’s easy to transport them in a journey Make sure they have lots of food and water and have their cage stable and ur ready to go :mrgreen:

I would try and get your finches from a local breeder aswell as they are usually healthier birds
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 am

Triscuit

Owl finches are pretty good, albeit a little hyper, from what I've heard. I agree with Fraza; a pair of males is usually the way to go.

If you can't find a nearby breeder, shows are also a good choice, as several breeders will meet in one area. Birds from shows are generally reasonably priced; just watch out for ill birds.

The Finch Information Center has some great articles on pet finches. Here's the one about owl finches: Owl (Bicheno) Finch

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Triscuit

1. If you can find finch breeders in your area, they usually will have nice birds at reasonable prices. Small pet shops often buy their finches from local breeders, so you will pay more. Bird marts are great places to get some good buys.

2. Dogs and finches in the same household are no problem, but two things to consider. If a bird gets out of its cage and the dog is in the same room, the dog can catch and kill the bird (my dog did this). The other consideration is that many dogs love to eat bird seed off the floor. My dog never got sick from it, but perhaps some small dogs might.

3. No problem taking birds on a long car trip. I've driven from Dallas TX area to Chicago IL area for several years now to attend the National Bird Show, and then back home again. The drive is 15 hours, so we break it into two days. La Quinta Inns are pet friendly. We have the birds in smaller cages with plenty of food and water. A light sheet can be OK, but you want to make sure they are not in the dark too much, as they don't eat and drink when it is too dark. You also need to watch for sun coming in the windows, as that can overheat them. We partially cover the cages to block the sun but let in light. At night, we take them in the hotel and give them some time to feel normal/eat/drink before putting them to bed with cover over them. Our birds did just great, even singing during the drive. I do recommend an electrolyte such as NV powder in their water as a boost to their immune system during the travel.

4. As long as the birds are kept indoors, you shouldn't have to worry about humidity. Most finches like some humidity, so perhaps if you are in a very dry climate, you might want to use a humidifier.

Owls are a great little finch, very inquisitive and active. They aren't especially difficult to breed, but any time you have a male/female pair, you need to consider what to do with the babies, or you can become overrun. Owl finches shouldn't be that hard to rehome, since they aren't extremely common and they are just so darn cute!

Welcome to the forum!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org