I am using worm away for the first time

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

I am using worm away for the first time

Post by Phoenix811 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi, I recently got a new finch about a week ago, and was recommended to use worm away by morning bird products. I mixed and added to water dishes today, my question is, how long do I leave the water dish with medicine in it? it states on the product one dose and what percent to mix with water, but it is unclear for what length of time.. (I normally clean the water bowls every day) If anyone has any experience with this product and can offer me advice it is greatly appreciated. Thank u :)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: I am using worm away for the first time

Post by Sally » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Phoenix811

Here are the directions from their website. I provide the Worm Away treated water for just one day. Whenever I am giving the birds any kind of treatment in the water, I withhold water overnight. Then, when I give them the treated water in the morning, they should be thirsty and more likely to drink it. One day should be enough for treatment.

WORM AWAY

WORM AWAY eliminates a variety of intestinal worms found in birds.

SYMPTOMS OF INTESTINAL WORMS:

weight loss
visible ribbons in droppings
enlarged gizzard palpable in abdomen

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE. WORM AWAY successfully eliminates thread worms, tape worms, hook worms, caecal worms, gizzard worms, round worms, gape worms and other intestinal worms found in birds. Add 1/2 teaspoon per 5 fl.oz (147 ml) of clean drinking water OR one drop per 6 oz. (170 grams) of body weight on fruits, vegetables, soaked seed, or softfood OR one drop per 6 oz. (170 grams) of body weight administered directly to the crop. WORM AWAY is a single dose treatment but may be repeated if condition does not improve. If bird does not respond to treatment or bird’s condition worsens, consult a veterinarian. Safe for young and adult birds. Keep container closed before and after use. Store in a cool, dry place. One level teaspoon equals 5 ml.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Re: I am using worm away for the first time

Post by Phoenix811 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am

Thank u Sally u are so helpful, I put the water in yesterday morning (he drank it during day) Im taking it away now, and then with my other finch I will withhold water overnight and start in morning as u do :)