Anxious new finch parent

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Daniel
Pip
Pip

Anxious new finch parent

Post by Daniel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:09 am

Good morning all,

Yesterday was the eagerly awaited day that we brought our new finches home, a beautiful lavender and an orange cheek.

They seem to be doing very well and seem quite pleased to be in their new cage.

I have watched them closely and have not ever seen them drink from their water tube (similar to what the breeder had and next to a perch) or their food dish (hung in cage, has it's own perch, breeder put seeds on cage floor).

Can someone reassure me that eventually they will find these on their own, or is there something I should be doing to coax them into use/help them find them.

Really I feel as though I should just be leaving them alone for a few days but obviously don't want them to die for lack of water/food.

Thank you, I searched the internet and forum and couldn't seem to find anything ecept a post on a canary that said it would find water on its own.

Best,
Dan

Daniel
Pip
Pip

Re: Anxious new finch parent

Post by Daniel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:52 am

Here are some pics so you can see the water tube and the feeder. The feeder is the kind where they have to go in to eat, and I've never seen them even try to go inside.

-Dan
Attachments
Scout.jpg
Murray.jpg
Water tube.jpg

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:44 am

Daniel
Pretty birds. I think they should figure it out eventually but might need a little help.

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

JMSpeth22
Pip
Pip

Post by JMSpeth22 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am

I was told to keep an eye on their poop. They will not poop as much if they are not eating. (I was told an average sized zebra finch will poop approximately 15 times a day....) Are there seed hulls at the bottom of the cage? That may be another clue. Maybe you could entice them into the food bowl or next to the water dispenser with some millet or fresh greens. They may just need some quiet time to figure everything out. I know when I brought mine home I had to try not to hover too much. They eventually settled in just fine.
2 Zebra Finches
3 cats
4 fish
1 horse
1 husband

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Daniel Even though the water tube is similar to what the breeder used, I would offer water in a small, shallow bowl on the floor of the cage until you see them using the tube waterer. I would also offer seed in a small bowl on the floor. Birds can go longer without food than water (just like us), so I'd keep an eye on them. Part of it is just them getting used to a new home, it may take them several days before they start to feel comfortable. I'd also offer spray millet, which is usually welcomed by finches. Nice waxbills!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Daniel when I get new birds I always make it easy for them to start off with and leave a tub of water and a tub of food on the floor then I have the other things like feeders etc then one I’ve seen them use them I take them out if one does it the other will copy so it shouldn’t take long
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

hfinney
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by hfinney » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:12 pm

You've gotten this advice already but I wanted to say that I use the exact same feeders and water tubes that you do. For some reason it seems to take new birds a bit longer to figure out those feeders and the water tubes, so I double up and add a regular dish of food and water while everyone is getting settled in.

Congratulations on your new additions!

Daniel
Pip
Pip

Post by Daniel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:05 pm

I want to thank everyone for the sound advice. I did as suggested and have two happy birds eating and drinking from containers on the floor. It looks from the water level that they have begun drinking from the tube, but I'll wait until I actually see them doing it to stop leaving alternates.

Thank you all!

-Dan

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 pm

They might appreciate a little fake foliage over the top of a corner of the cage for privacy. Or you can use a small pillow case on the corner. Pretty birds!