Help with new birds

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Birddude
Pip
Pip

Help with new birds

Post by Birddude » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:46 pm

I am trying to convince my parents to allow my to get Zebra finches, but I have some questions.

1. Are Zebras the right choice? I know I want a finch, I am a first time bird owner.
2. Are Zebras loud? Can I hear them from across the house or just in their room?
3. I'm planing on building a cage 32x24x18. Is this big enough?
4. I don't want babies. Can I keep two males together?
5. What keeps them from coming out of the cage while I change food and water and clean?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Help with new birds

Post by Sheather » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:15 pm

I do not recommend zebras. Very loud, very aggressive. I strongly recommend society finches, which are very easy to find, or something more uncommon but just as easy to keep, like Javas. That cage size is good for all. And you can keep males of every species to prevent breeding, but some zebra males do not get along. And no birds will breed without a nest.

Bird cages should be built with small doors just big enough for your hand and trays that slide out to clean to keep birds from escaping during maintenance.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Sheather yep listen

Society’s are much better and quieter with better characteristics
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Birddude

I agree with Sheather and Fraza; society finches are less agressive, while some zebra finches will fight or even try to murder each other.

Finches in general aren't loud, though from what I've observed, zebra finches make incessant beeping and meeping noises. Society finches are generally less noisy, although females have an alarm call that can be quite piercing (the good thing is, they won't make alarm calls when they're calm). Male alarm calls are slightly less harsh, and songs can range anywhere from only audible in the same room to loud enough to hear from the other side of the house; it depends on the bird.

I'd say society finches are most interesting in groups of at least four; they love to preen each other and huddle up on the same branch to sleep, which can be quite amusing. They tend to use most of the cage, though other species will also use more of the space if you provide them with a foraging box, plants, or feeders lower down in the cage.

As for a single pair of birds, society finches are good, but I'd recommend Java finches more. The males have very melodic songs, and both sexes have pleasant-sounding calls. They are quite intelligent, and more visible than other finches due to their large size and high contrast markings.

Your cage is a good size for a pair of Javas, or maybe six society finches. Cohabitation with multiple species is also possible, though I'd recommend against it at least until you have more experience. Once the finches are used to their cage, they will usually try to stay in, and should fly to the opposite side when you open it to clean.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 am

For me, zebra finches are lovely birds. Everyone has different preferences tho. I love the little “beeps” Zebs make. You could get either two males or two females but if you get two females then there’s a high chance of eggs!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Birddude
Pip
Pip

Post by Birddude » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Thank you for the advice! My Petsmart only sells zebras and societies. Societies are rarely in stock and are $5 more expensive, I am a teen on a budget. Where else can I get them? Also, I can only get birds if they are relatively quiet or my parents will say no. I sort of had my heart set on zebras. What if I got a male and female with no nest. Would they be more calm? Which finch do you think would be the quietest?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 pm

You don't say where you are. Putting that into your profile would help.

Wherever you live, there ought to be a Craigslist near by. Check the pets listings. Buying directly from a breeder will usually get you healthier birds that didn't come from a bird mill at up to half the pet store price.

My preferences will have no bearing on yours but I also find that the constant noisy beeping of zebras drives me nuts. That and their aggression makes them a no-no for me.
The other inexpensive birds to consider are societies ~MUCH quieter and very peaceful.
Javas will probably cost you a lot more if you can find them.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Birddude

Most finches are quiet, so noise shouldn't be an issue.

Bird shows are some of the best places to buy them; you may have to wait a few months for a show in your area, but it could be worth it. Birds at shows are typically half to a third the cost of those at pet stores, and also tend to be healthier. On the other hand, animals from chain pet stores (Pet Supermarket, PetCo, PetSmart, etc) in the US are supplied from mills where they are kept and bred in crowded and unsanitary conditions, so I would discourage you from buying animals from those stores if possible.

I agree with paul-inAZ; check the local ads, and you will probably find something worthwhile. Society and zebra finches are common, at least on the Craigslist in my area. Many people will give them, and sometimes even their cages, away for free.

A pair of zebra finches could be fine, but there's a higher risk that they will be aggressive than with more docile finches. If your finches aren't compatible, they will need to be separated or they will be stressed and could injure each other. This could require significantly more money for an extra cage and its supplies, as well as any costs associated with injury.

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:15 pm

I can hear my zebras from upstairs when they're downstairs. I love the constant noise but if you want quiet I'd say they're definitely not your choice.
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

What if I got a male and female with no nest. Would they be more calm? Which finch do you think would be the quietest?
If you get a male and female with no nest, they will try to nest in food dishes, etc. Zebras are the rabbits of the bird world. Even pairs can be agressive to each other. Societies are a much better choice.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 am

Mine are all outside so I really shouldn't have an opinion about noise at all.
This time of year my canaries and finches literally fill the back yard with song.

So in my view, all the calling and courtship behaviors are a big part of the fun in this fascinating hobby. If your door is closed there shouldn't be enough "annoying" song to disturb the household. Build your habitat as big as possible and let them fly around the room whenever you can. A bonded pair can be quite a learning experience for you and your family.
Offspring are easy to re-home.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.