Newbie Questions About Zebra Finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Wilhelm
Pip
Pip

Newbie Questions About Zebra Finches

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 pm

I'm rather new to the hobby, and although I don't have a bird yet, I am going to get a Zebra Finch and have some questions. I've done some basic research, and have heard that they do not like to be handled or to have a hand in their cage, and this brings of the problem of cleaning. I was wondering if any, more experienced, owners would tell me how they clean their finch's cage without causing undue stress to the finches. Another question I have is about cats, mainly how to keep them away. I have one cat, and I have a room which it doesn't much wander in where I was planning on placing the cage. This room can be easily closed off, but I am wondering if there is another prevention mechanism that I could use alongside just being vigilant, and providing negative stimuli to my cat when it comes in the room. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any help you can give.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Newbie Questions About Zebra Finches

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 am

Wilhelm wrote: I'm rather new to the hobby, and although I don't have a bird yet, I am going to get a Zebra Finch and have some questions. I've done some basic research, and have heard that they do not like to be handled or to have a hand in their cage, and this brings of the problem of cleaning. I was wondering if any, more experienced, owners would tell me how they clean their finch's cage without causing undue stress to the finches. Another question I have is about cats, mainly how to keep them away. I have one cat, and I have a room which it doesn't much wander in where I was planning on placing the cage. This room can be easily closed off, but I am wondering if there is another prevention mechanism that I could use alongside just being vigilant, and providing negative stimuli to my cat when it comes in the room. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any help you can give.
With cleaning the cage, you just pull the tray out and change out the paper and the finch will be fine. For cleaning the whole cage I suggest you remove the zebra finch and put it in a carry cage. To catch it you can use a small fish net. I recommend getting two zebra finches as one will get lonely. I have a cat too, so I keep finches in outdoor avaries and when I do have birds inside, I just have to have one room always closed off.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 am

Wilhelm

Welcome to the hobby.

First of all Zebra Finches do not do well on their own. These are very social little birds who need the companionship of their own kind. For this reason, I would highly recommend getting 2 birds, either a pair (if you don't mind babies) or 2 of the same sex to keep each other company.

Regarding cages and cage cleaning. A cage for these birds, should be longer rather than higher (around 30 inches, by 18in, by 18 in is a good size). As to cleaning, your birds will get used to you doing this and will not stress too much.

As to your cat, that's a little more complex. Cats, are great hunters, and it is very difficult if not impossible to train a cat not to go after birds.

Personally, I had 2 cats along with my birds, one didn't care about the birds at all, but the other one did. I lost two birds to this kitty, with several others being injured (through the bars of the cage).

Below you will see a couple of pictures of the damage a cat can do through the cage bars...

I would strongly suggest, placing your birds in a room where the cat is not allowed, and never leaving them alone with the cat.

Good luck.
Attachments
THIS BIRD DID SURVIVE.
THIS BIRD DID SURVIVE.
THIS BIRD DID NOT SURVIVE.
THIS BIRD DID NOT SURVIVE.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 am

lovezebs wrote: Wilhelm

Welcome to the hobby.

First of all Zebra Finches do not do well on their own. These are very social little birds who need the companionship of their own kind. For this reason, I would highly recommend getting 2 birds, either a pair (if you don't mind babies) or 2 of the same sex to keep each other company.

Regarding cages and cage cleaning. A cage for these birds, should be longer rather than higher (around 30 inches, by 18in, by 18 in is a good size). As to cleaning, your birds will get used to you doing this and will not stress too much.

As to your cat, that's a little more complex. Cats, are great hunters, and it is very difficult if not impossible to train a cat not to go after birds.

Personally, I had 2 cats along with my birds, one didn't care about the birds at all, but the other one did. I lost two birds to this kitty, with several others being injured (through the bars of the cage).

Below you will see a couple of pictures of the damage a cat can do through the cage bars...

I would strongly suggest, placing your birds in a room where the cat is not allowed, and never leaving them alone with the cat.

Good luck.
Aw poor birdies! Cats are awful when they go and attack inoccent little birdies :( I think I’ve had our neighbors cat attack a few of my birds. One of my turquoisines had a huge wound and lost lots of blood because of it! Another finch had two little toes ripped off and died 3 days later from the shock and pain. :(
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 am

Zebra finches are quite hardy and an ideal bird for the beginner finch keeper. Some zebra finches can be tamed, but they have to be hand raised so they think you are their parents. Keep the cat out of the room and close the door in case it thinks that there is something interesting in there.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~