Female bird recommendations

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Female bird recommendations

Post by ellen7 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Hello...I haven't been on the forum in awhile but glad to be back. I've been thinking about birds again since I gave my 2 Societies to a friend of mine last year.

I am interested in birds that aren't too noisy. To me, American parakeets are noisy. I've been reading that the female gender of Canaries, Zebras, and Societies aren't loud and read that English budgies aren't loud either. But it seems like there's a lot of confusing info out there because on this forum, many have said they wouldn't have Zebras.

I'd like either a canary or a pair of birds that won't be very noisy. I used to have a pair of American parakeets a long time ago and every time they got loud, I had to turn up the tv, but then they'd get louder because of the tv. It was a headache.

Recommendations please? Is the female gender always the quietest? I know where there are Canaries, Zebras, and English Budgies for sale but haven't had luck finding Societies.

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Female bird recommendations

Post by ellen7 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:55 pm

I hope some replies come in soon...I'd like to visit the birds tomorrow :)

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri May 11, 2018 7:02 pm

From your list, a female canary will be quiet. Males have a lovely song but are not what you'd call quiet when singing.

Zebras twitter nonstop and drive me nuts.

English budgies are quieter than Americans but will sporadically chatter. One will be fairly quiet, two occasionally loud and more than that I wouldn't recommend when they all decide to chatter at once.

Other hook bills to consider are Bourkes, and other grsskeets like scarlet chested and turquoisines. These are all very quiet. Typically more expensive and less commonly sold.

Societies could be your best bet of those you listed. Neither sex is loud. They are common, inexpensive and shouldn't be hard to find.
Gouldian finches fit your criteria. A pair of these will be very quiet and are eye candy.

There may be other finches that would work. Sometimes harder to find.

Have you looked at Craigslist in your area?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 pm

I think your best choice is female JAVA SPARROWS they are nice size, active although quiet and also interesting to watch

Theublove to bath and aren’t nasty with each other if a male isn’t around

Also you can get different colours so you could have a black one and a white or fawn or pied so it wouldn’t look boring you could have a mix of colour in the cage, also they aren’t too expensive they are a very good prices for their quality

Finally they are very inquisitive they look at you through the bars and when u bring them treat food like lettuce and greens they pop there heads through the bar

Hope this helps
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri May 11, 2018 9:02 pm

I agree with Paul-in AZ. I would either suggest a pair of gouldians (two different color females. With red, yellow and black heads available even the 'normal' colored ones are stunning check out Google images) or a female canary.
Iso

ellen7
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by ellen7 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm

I've been looking on Craigslist but to no avail. I live in a small town on the Oregon coast and pretty much every town on the coast is small, with the largest about 16,000 pop. The closest privately owned bird shop is 2 hours away because it's in a "city". They sell hand fed Bourkes, canaries, an English Budgie pair, and zebras among other larger type of parrots.

The only source of javas, gouldians, etc. that I've seen online are sold by the finchfarm in WA., 5 hours away.

I don't know if she (the shop owner) has single English budgies for sale or if it's just the one pair. Can you keep a single by itself? Will it need interaction? I'm really looking for a bird/birds that are happy without having to be outside the cage every day.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri May 11, 2018 10:59 pm

I really like Societies. Just give them a nest, some oat spray or short pieces of timothy hay and they will be busy building their nest. They try to drag in pieces that are bigger than they are! Always seem happy and active, interesting to watch. They all go in the nest at night, and all you see are pairs of eyes.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 am

ellen7 okay with where you are and distance to travel I would say society’s are the best for what your looking for aswell because they love a company of one other and they are small, various colours. And they huddle in a nest together
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun May 13, 2018 12:42 pm

ellen7
did you get to visit the shop yesterday? Curious about what you saw; liked; and maybe came home with.
I hope the prices were not as outrageous as those at the finch farm.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun May 13, 2018 1:03 pm

ellen7 This is a club that is in the Portland area, if that is not too far from you. It would be a way to connect with breeders of finches and canaries and find something that would be a fit for you.

https://www.columbiacanaryclub.org/
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun May 13, 2018 3:16 pm

She said she is 5 hours from the finch farm in Vancouver Wa. Portland is right across the river.
Maybe if you know of clubs in northern California that would be closer for her.