This might be a silly question...

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

This might be a silly question...

Post by Branching out » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:33 pm

I have the opportunity to make a four foot flight cage from four Koobaburra Rowan breeding cages and I am intending to take it. I'm not in a rush and haven't decided what to put in it, the bar spacing probably means nothing tiny but if I were to opt for a pair of finches, would it matter that they would have diagonal sight of my existing finch cage? I wouldn't want to do anything that would cause stress for my existing birds, or any new ones. The Budgies would be able to see in too but they won't mind.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: This might be a silly question...

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Branching out

What kind of finches are you going to be putting in the new cage? Most finches shouldn't have an issue with unfamiliar birds being in their line of sight once they settle down. I'm not sure how higher-strung birds like waxbills might behave, but most animals will stay calm if they are used to their environment.
Be sure to clean the new cages thoroughly if they have been in contact with other birds, and tend to your new birds last so you reduce the risk of spreading germs to your other birds.

Branching out
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Branching out » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks, I have years of fish-keeping background, so am 'up to speed' on quarantine and cross contamination issues. Whatever I choose will be a straightforward species and not too small, maybe a pair of Heck's or something of that sort. I'll set it up and wait and see what becomes available.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:46 pm

As long as the bar spacing is no bigger than 1/2, you should be OK. If you decide on some of the smaller waxbills, then ideal spacing would be either 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2x1/2 squares.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org