got my society finches today

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

got my society finches today

Post by Yellowpurple » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:10 pm

I ended up with 5 females and 1 male.
5 brown and 1 black.
He doesn't sing much but he definitely sings.

Is there any problems likely with only 1 male?
Will females fight because only 1 male?

Will black one be left out or picked on?
The black one was by herself all day mainly at the bottom or hanging from the side but she finally did join them for sleeping on a perch.

If I give them a nest and they have babies what are the male to female ratio average?

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Re: got my society finches today

Post by Yellowpurple » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 am

Picture of birdies
Attachments
20180809_181412.jpg

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:13 am

Society finches are generally passive, they rarely fight. If a more aggressive species bully them, they just stay out of the way. I doubt that you will have any problem with them.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Society finches have lovely, peaceful personalities on average. Unlikely you will have any problems. At different times I had 3, 7, 9 Societies happily living together. The most disagreement I saw was an eye-to-eye stare with maybe a lackluster peck in the general direction of the offender. End of confrontation. They are delightful birds!

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm

CathyCraftz
FinchLady
Thank you

One finch has been constantly opening and closing its beak with clicking noises today. The breeder has agreed to an exchange.
Is it likely to be an isolated problem with this one bird or could the others likely becone sick also?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Yellowpurple

It could be air sac mites, which can be transferred to other birds. Society finches don't usually get air sac mites, though I'd keep a close eye on them and treat with Ivermectin, SCATT, or S76 just in case.
Alternatively, it could be stress; I had some Java finches that panted with their beaks open until they got used to everything. They didn't click when they breathed, but made a high-pitched "heheheheh" noise that was a bit concerning at first.

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Icearstorm - thank you

When the weather is over 100 is there any company that will provide some sort of cooling for items sent by mail?

I've learned from all my online shopping that foods and vitamins r not goid to be gotten by mail especially during sumner. Packages just sit in one vehicle outside in heat until transferred to another hot vehicle.

S76 sounds good to get.
Plus I would like to get vitamins and pellet food and teeats but I live in a smalk town and don't drice due to poor eyesight, so I mainly order online but won't be cool enough until about mid-September.
I don't want to give the birds anything that is spoiling or gone bad due to too much heat.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Your bird may not be sick. Sometimes they click their beak due to stress or may be a behavioral thing. As long as it seems ok otherwise, it's probably not sick. You can get food shipped overnight but it costs more. I usually get mine in two days, and it's been good.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:16 pm

I refrigerate their food when it comes in. The seed goes in the freezer. If the package is hot, let it cool down to room temperature first. Where are you located? You might have a supplier near you. I get mine from ladygouldianfinch.com in California or ladygouldian.com in Georgia

Yellowpurple
Pip
Pip

Post by Yellowpurple » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:27 am

wildbird - thank you for the helpful information. I live in California so I will look into ladygouldian