Help identify our rescued zebra finch

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
klyncorgi
Pip
Pip

Help identify our rescued zebra finch

Post by klyncorgi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:24 pm

I used to breed cockatiels and lovebirds in the past, but zebra finches our new to me. My husband and I rescued a zebra finch that someone had let go. In doing some research online it looked like to me a male CFW zebra finch. I took pictures of it and brought them down to our local pet store to help me identify, so I could get a couple of friends to go with it. My opinion and the opinion of the pet store was that it was a male, so we got 2 other males (grey) for friends. They were the only 2 boys there and had been getting along together. They all seemed to get along for a week or so, and then the two new boys started fighting. One was beating the other up. It go so bad that I had to separate out the one that was getting beat on. In talking again to the pet store they concluded that mine was a female and the boys were fighting over her. The pair started making a nest and the male was trying to breed the female. In doing some research it looked like to be the single male may be carrying the CFW gene, so I have now switched the males and gotten another female so no one is lonely. Now that I have done that no one seems interested in each other at all. I still question if mine is a female. It doesn't just do chirps it also "sings"? Would 2 males bond like this and make a nest? I have no idea the age of this bird. They slept in the nest together and are now singing across the room from each other since separated. Very confused at this point. I would be very grateful for any help. I've attached pics of the birds.
Attachments
20180717_144216.JPG
20180716_113159.JPG

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Help identify our rescued zebra finch

Post by wildbird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:51 pm

I think the first two with the orange cheeks are males and the white one is a female. But I don't have Zebras, so maybe someone else will be able to tell you for sure. If you switched out the male who was paired with the female, that might be why they are not interested in each other now. I have Society males and they are always rebuilding their nest, but I don't know if Zebra males do.

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 am

It's hard to identify if the CFW is a female or male because sometimes female carry some male characteristics as well. I'd say that it is a male since it is similar in size to your other two males and you said it also sings. Zebra finches don't do well in odd numbers, The majority will always pick on the one left out. One way to know for sure is to put the white finch in a cage with a male and see if he tries to court the other by singing and bouncing around.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:36 am

Pair of males and i suspect one white fem

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am

I suspect the white to be a Male because of the faint breast bar and also it’s so dark red beak usually females beaks are orange and the males are red, so is that faint cheeks and then flanks down the side
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Fraza wrote: I suspect the white to be a Male because of the faint breast bar and also it’s so dark red beak usually females beaks are orange and the males are red, so is that faint cheeks and then flanks down the side
totaly agreed.cfw male

klyncorgi
Pip
Pip

Post by klyncorgi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm thinking male too. Have CFW in with a grey male and they couldn't care less about each other. Guess I'll be looking for a few females.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 pm

They all look male to me too. Make sure if you get females that you also get more cages.... Life with Zebras means you need lots of cages.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 am

You have only males. You ran into aggression because you put three zebras in a cage together. Two buddy up and try to kill the third. You need either one more bird and to house them separately - which is your best bet - or three more either males or females but not a mix, to house them together. Zebra aggression is reduced in larger flocks but you want either even pairs or all one sex.
~Dylan

~~~

klyncorgi
Pip
Pip

Post by klyncorgi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 am

Have 2 males in 1 large flight cage, and a pair M&F in another cage. Would it work if I got 2 females for the 2 males in the flight cage? It is 21d x 30w x 43h. The 2 males are getting along fine now. The white one seems to really want to make a nest.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:53 am

Your zebra pictures make me want to get some zebras.
But they sound so aggressive and difficult to keep.
And then they multiply.

From what I had read online a 5 ft long cage would house 6 zebras only.
Only either 2 or 6 not 4

I've seen a cage size chart but can't find it now.
The only thing is it doesn't allow one to put in the type of birds to be housed.
Wouldn't passive ones be able to be more in that size cage than pushy/aggressive ones like the zebras?

If they r getting along I would leave as is and just keep close eye on them.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:46 am

goldfinchowl don’t have more than one pair that’s all I’m saying you will regret it after few weeks and be forever looking for a solution until u realise you gotta sell
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:04 am

Fraza - it's unfortunate that such cute birds r so much trouble

Gracie85
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Gracie85 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 am

Do NOT get two females and expect them to live peacefully as two pair in one cage. Will not happen. Uh-uh, no way.

For that size cage, one pair is all you can expect to put into it. Zebras are much more aggressive than anything you read will tell you. The rule of 3 or more pairs together stops the fighting doesn't always work either, in fact, it probably mostly doesn't work.

Zebras can be very difficult to house together. They can be very difficult to house with other species. Yes, you will read of some people who are having no problem. But you will read of many, many, more who are having nothing but problems, who end up with every pair in a separate cage, and even some singles in separate cages, because nobody will live peacefully with anybody else.

I see that you are new to finches and very enthusiastic about increasing your flocks, which is great, but I would suggest you slow down a little bit and get some more reading done, and get some more experience first, before bringing in every new species you can find. Don't read pet store type sites for info, read on places like this where real people are discussing their problems with their birds, to get the real story on how a new species is to keep. If, in your excitement about birds, you fill your cages and house right away, and then find that what you have are difficult and incompatible and don't fit in with your plans, you're already stuck with what you've gotten. And you'll have no room to add something you realize you really really want in the future when you know more about finches.