New Boy Question re Behaviour

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

New Boy Question re Behaviour

Post by DunbarDinnes » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi to all...I have two pairs of Zebra Finches, birds are 7-12 months old. They moved in to my aviary 4 days ago now. The set up is external in a relatively quiet garden, 6' x 4' flight, two banks of four nest boxes enclosed at one end, plenty of perches at different heights etc.

My birds are 3 common Zebras and 1 white cock. Problem? the white male appears to be guarding nest boxes, food dishes, water and everythingelse in the aviary! He constantly chases the two females away from food & water & nesting. The other Male bird escapes his attentions and occasionally appears to shield one of the females by physically getting between White cock and her.

The females are feeding as I have a number of feed points, millet which they cling too and peck away in peace. The white cock doesn't fight the females who appear too agile for him but are contantly being moved on by him.

Strangely when they roost, all birds quieten down and each takes to nesting in his/her own box.

Is this normal? Are they establishing heirachy? Will they settle down?

Oddly the Two males appear to prefer sleeping together in the same nest box? any advice greatfully received.

FinchLover&Breeder
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: New Boy Question re Behaviour

Post by FinchLover&Breeder » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm not sure but it might be a sign of trying to court the females. what do others think?

Nick
Pets:
6 zebras and counting
1 society and counting
2 hermit crabs
1 dog (Getting another soon.(will post pics))
1 outdoor cat
2 male cockatiels
(and counting)
Channel #1
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1Otj-I0yiRjboOUxEgyreA
Channel #2
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQmXcLlN_Oo7hkGE4zUgS9A

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Probably trying to get a mate. You should separate him before he takes over all the food sources.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Day 5...Females now chasing White Cock around...Females have established their own boxes and all seem happy with situation..feeding happily together.