Bathing

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Bathing

Post by DunbarDinnes » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:10 am

I have had my birds for two weeks, currently have 3 Male & 3 Female Zebras. My aviary is outdoor 9' x 6' x 6'. All birds feeding and drinking well with a very healthy diet..seed, broccoli, carrot, maize, oyster shell, cuttle etc.

No sign of any bird bathing? weather has been 18 - 24c recently and birds have water available in several locations Plus tried various shapes & sizes for bathing...Will they eventually take the plunge?

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Bathing

Post by isobea » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:47 pm

How deep is the water? And does the bird bath have a non-slip surface? If it is big enough, you could try putting a flat rock in it (a little over to one side).

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Water about 1/2" deep no more, tried a shop bought bird bath, shallow dish, deeper container but no interest, they drink from various receptacles but never take the plunge...not they appear unhappy about situation. Just read so much about how avidly zebbies are supposed to be re bathing. Also tried bathing dishes at various heights from aviary floor upwards.

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Try using a mist spray 2-3 times a day to get them used to being wet, i have two zebras and this was what i did. I attach a birdbath every day and they probably go in it 4-5 times weekly, if one goes in the other usually follows suit.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Strange, most of mine dive bomb the bath as soon as they get the chance.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:16 am

3 Weeks now and not one of six birds shows any interest in bathing! have tried different levels locations etc. They happily perch and drink bath water but show no signs of dipping themselves. They enjoy a mist spray so not totally adverse to water!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 am

DunbarDinnes

I would think, that they grew up in a situation where baths were not supplied for them. Because of this, they simply have no idea that these "drinking " dishes are for bathing..

Mist them if the weather is hot, and if they enjoy that.

Personally, I would introduce a pair of Society finches,or a Canary to the mix. They would show your Zebras how it's done in no time.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks Elana might try that, does seem strange that they dont know what to do..happily they look healthy enough!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 pm

DunbarDinnes

Happy and healthy, that's what you want :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 am

Finally..after four/five weeks the birds decide to bath. I have five pairs now all living harmonisouly.