Single Zebra with Societies?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
forthebirds
Pip
Pip

Single Zebra with Societies?

Post by forthebirds » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 pm

I know there are a ton of similar questions on this board already, but this situation is somewhat specific. Even after reading previous posts, I'm not sure what to do.

Hi everyone--

I have a large cage with 6 finches--3 female/2 male societies and one lone (male) zebra finch. They all seem to get along. At times the zebra will chase the other birds, but they don't seem too bothered by him. They all preen each other and share food/water with no problems.

I've noticed that the societies tend to gather together in one of their food dishes to sleep--literally squeezing every one in. The zebra seems left out of this. I've seen him just dive in once and cuddle up to everyone else, but usually he'll just sleep alone on a nearby perch. I'm beginning to think he may feel left out and lonely being the only zebra finch among all the others. I'm considering adding another zebra (just one) as a potential buddy for him. My concern lies in his existing aggressive behavior (even though it's really minor). I worry that adding a female zebra will make him more protective/aggressive? But, then again, I don't know if another male zebra would get along with him?

Can anyone give me any advice in this situation? I just feel bad for him and don't want him to feel left out or lonely!

thanks!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Single Zebra with Societies?

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:03 pm

forthebirds

I would not house zebras with societies. You may have to get an extra flight.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 pm

I have kept one male zebra in a society flock very well, but two will cause trouble. If they all preen each other he's getting enough socialization. Leave it be.
~Dylan

~~~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:21 am

If I was you even though others might not agree I’d add another species that is similar to a zebra like a heck and because this is left out to it might cuddle with the zebra just make sure it’s another Male so they don’t make hybrids
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Do owl finches and zebras get along? Are owls aggressive like zebras? Would a pair of owls accept a zebra or just pair up and leave him out? Are owls and society ok together?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm

goldfinchowl

Society’s get along with everyone

I’ve never hadn’t owls so I don’t really know

However I’ve been told zebras don’t get alongside with heck’s and society’s and they have for me
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3