Nesting

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Nesting

Post by DunbarDinnes » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:12 pm

My 3 pairs of Zebbies live in an outdoor aviary, all prefer sleeping in nest boxes lined with Jute or shredded tissue. 2 of the birds have paired M & F and sleep together, two other males sleep together and other two females sleep in seperate boxes. The nesting material is lightly soiled and a quick shake removes soiling. My question is how often would you change the lining?how often clean whole box? anythingelse much appeciated.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Nesting

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:41 am

DunbarDinnes

Nests can be cleaned out at any time, as long as there are no eggs or babies in the nest.

Once there are eggs and young, I would leave nest cleaning until the babies fledge, unless the nest is absolutely filthy (and even then, use extreme caution as parents may abandon the nest).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks again Elana.

My six birds are healthy looking, drink & eat very well a good balanced diet. Only two of the six have paired M/F the other two males sleep together, the two other females nest alone.

My birds have 13 nest boxes to chose from, the M/F pair have their own nest box which the use constantly and always together at night (no eggs as yet).

All birds however have been constructing a huge nest in probably the draughtiest most unlikely mid level spot of the aviary. No one sleeps in it but all contribute to building, or are they just plugging a draughty place?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 pm

DunbarDinnes

Are you wishing to breed your birds ?

If the answer is yes, then you might have to remove one male and one female from the same sex pairs, placing them together in a cage away from the aviary until they bond as a couple, leaving the other two to bond as well.

If breeding is not all that important to you, then leave things as they are.

Regarding the big nest everyone is busily building, let them build away. It's a good way for them to keep occupied :D .
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Post by DunbarDinnes » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi Elana..Not over bothered by breeding, happy to let nature take it's course. As long as birds are happy & healthy thats my priority, I have lots of room to expand aviary if need be. I cant be sure of age of birds, all appear similar size and from breeder could be anywhere between 4 & 8 months old. 1 Female smaller. All birds appear very healthy. I'm guessing they are mainly young & immature? bit like me..LOL...but not the young bit!! Will the the two who have paired up breed happy whilst others are unpaired? will unpaired birds get jealous ?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm

DunbarDinnes

If breeding is not a big issue, then leave your birds as they are.

They'll be fine.

Your one true pair will breed if and when they decide to do so (depending on daylight hours, diet, etc.)

Your other two same sex pairs, will be content to remain as they are, or will decide to change company at some point in time when they wish to breed.
~Elana~