Baby finch questions

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Baby finch questions

Post by FinchLady » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Wow! Great job- he looks good.

Poece
Pip
Pip

Post by Poece » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Right after I made my last post he started hopping around the tank so I moved him to a big cage and started giving him regular food. He seems a little interested but I don't think hes eaten any of it yet. Do I stop hand feeding him as often now?

Poece
Pip
Pip

Post by Poece » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:01 pm

I got it figured out. Hes eating bits of food on his own now so I have been hand feeding him less. I will reduce how much I hand feed as he eats more on his own.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Poece

He's pretty tough. Normally I would never allow a chick out of the brooder under the fledge date of 23-24 days.

I've handraised more finches than I can count. Sounds like he's doing great.

But keep up the feedings until he refuses on his own. He may be eating but not drinking water and will rely on about 3 feedings a day for you to provide it.

When he refuses the feedings, he's good to go.

FinchMama
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by FinchMama » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Poece, How's your bird doing? He's so cute.

Poece
Pip
Pip

Post by Poece » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Hes doing great! I have still been giving him 1 meal of baby bird food a day at this point since he will take it but hes over a month old (about 5 weeks I think) at this point so its not necessary anymore right? Hes been eating veggies, fruits, cooked brown rice and egg mainly. He always has seeds and millet in his cage but I don't know if hes eating much of that yet.
Attachments
20181008_181632.jpg

Poece
Pip
Pip

Post by Poece » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 pm

He died about 30 minutes ago. I don't know what happened. Earlier today he seemed perfectly fine. He was chirping, flying around etc. How sensitive would he be to cold? His cage was by the front door and I had dogs picked up so the door was open for a bit. It was shut when not in use so it wasn't hanging open for a while or anything. Just opened so people could go in and out. It didn't get very cold and he also has a space heater right next to his cage on low but maybe he was more sensitive to cold than I thought? He was fine when these dogs were picked up. An hour later I had dogs being dropped off and they asked what was in the cage and I found him dead. He had food and water. We saw him drink so we know he knew how to (and he had a water dish on the floor and higher up) and he has been eating on his own for a while. What happened? I'm so upset right now and I need to know if I did something wrong.