New birds by coincidence

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
tobiask190
Pip
Pip

New birds by coincidence

Post by tobiask190 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:40 pm

(*Side note: I've kept budgies before, but never finches)
Two weeks ago, my mother and I went to get food at a Korean market. Then, out of the blue, we see a beautiful male gouldian finch sitting on a trashcan! We adopted the poor bird, named him Sherbet (or Schubert as my mom calls him), and got a temporary cage for him. Last Saturday, we got a larger cage and a female partner for him.
I have some doubts to whether I'm giving the right care to the birds, however. The cage is 24 by ~17 inches wide (height is of no issue). In addition, the female seems a little... poofed/fat (more detail: she's a youngster and has yet to fully fledge all her face feathers!). Also, I think we moved the cage too much when we introduced them to their new cage (My mom and I argued a lot about where to place the cage). Though it's better now, whenever I approached the birds, they get extra flighty and go all over the cage. If needed, I can take a picture of the cage setup. Thank you for any help!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: New birds by coincidence

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:07 am

tobiask190

A picture of the setup and birds would be good. The cage is on the small side (at least 30" of length is recommended), and gouldians are more likely to become overweight in smaller enclosures, so that could be an issue. If you've got a safe place for them to free-fly for part of the day, the setup could work well. Since they're new, I'd recommend leaving them in the cage for now until they settle down.

It sounds like the female is moulting, not necessarily young; if she was growing those feathers in for the first time, then that would make her only a few weeks old and thus too young to know how to eat on her own. Moulting is very energy-intensive in gouldians, so they should have some high-quality protein like eggfood or boiled/scrambled egg every day until their feathers grow back in.

Since the female is fluffed up, some heat might help her. Try to get a heat lamp that isn't too powerful (I find some of the ones for tropical lizards work well). Place the lamp above one end of the cage so that end is warm and the other end is room-temperature, and the birds will stay at whatever temperature they think is most comfortable. I had a female gouldian that fluffed up and started sleeping shortly after I brought her home, and the little bit of additional heat helped her within a few days.

tobiask190
Pip
Pip

Post by tobiask190 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Here's a picture of the set-up and birds:
https://imgur.com/a/YdB3BZP

tobiask190
Pip
Pip

Post by tobiask190 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 am

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 am

tobiask190

So the height is good; you might be able to get them to fly more by moving the food and water lower down and replacing the dowel perch that runs across the entire length of the cage into two perches on opposite sides of the cage. They might also enjoy a swing or two at the top of the cage and perhaps some plants (real or fake), although they do tend to get soiled.

Your female appears to be an adult, as most juveniles are plain greyish green and go through a patchy moult to get their adult colors. I'd recommend taking the nest away at least until after the female finishes moulting and regains her strength, otherwise the male might stress her out with breeding behavior.

tobiask190
Pip
Pip

Post by tobiask190 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Icearstorm
The birds didn't even tough the egg I got them xD
Should I buy mealworms for them as their protein supplement? Also, my mom said that she's eating a lot of seeds, but that's normal, right?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

tobiask190

Lucky you to find a lovely Gouldian on your grocery trip.

Your female might just need some time to settle in. If I were you, I would place your cage with at least one side against a wall. This will offer your birds a feeling of more security.

Regarding diet:
Gouldians, are mainly seed eaters, so getting a good quality of Finch seed mix is a good idea.

Gouldians, will also enjoy some fresh chopped green foods (like spinach, romain lettuce, kale, red swiss chard, bok choy, etc.

Offering some mashed or chopped hard boiled eggs a few times a week, will offer your birds a great source of protein. Gouldians, usually will not eat mealworms, but it depends on how they were raised... you could give it a try.

Cooked, crushed egg shells are a great source of calcium for your birds.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~