what's wrong!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

what's wrong!

Post by goldfinchowl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 am

Society finches

I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

I got some society finches 5 brownish and 1 mostly black.

Was supposed to be all female but 1 at least is definitely male - being the browns look a lot alike I think it is only 1 singing but could be 2.

But female black one was being left out.

Person I got them from only had males left.

So I got a dark brown and a black and white
The black and white didn't fly and had a short tail.
He is now 2 months later flying very well.

However :evil: these 2 last males can't stand each other and r aggressive in general.

Chasing all around cage back and forth. All 3 males beak fight.
At least 1 or 2 females also are quite aggressive. The black female too.

With the canaries they were pushy but the 2 canary females stood up to them especially the all yellow canary.

But the society were too aggressive with the gouldian, they like to knock each other and others off the perches. And they had corralled the gouldians into a corner.

When they were with separated with the canaries were were hostile towards each other and cranky with the society, the fighting among the society stopped. They had started sleeping all together.

I placed them in a new double wide flight cage
This didn't reduce the canaries problem.
I added more perches, plants, toys and mirrors.
I also instead of having variety of different food dishes made them all the same kind of food so the canaries wouldn't fight over their favorite dishes.
Seem to have finally done the trick of settling the canaries down. [-o< Minimal bickering today.

But today the society were at each other worse than ever :evil: [-X

Also they aren't even sleeping together.

I even lost track by evening of who's chasing who.

Some r trying to nest in the food cups.

Is this just the way they r?
I thought they were supposed to be passive and get along reasonably well with each other and like to sleep together?

Is this the way birds just act?

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: what's wrong!

Post by goldfinchowl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:35 am

Update

I divided the cage and now have 4 society and 1 canary per side.

R2 the more aggressive troublesome male, the black more aggressive female, 1 brown/fawn and white male, and another fawn and white possible male.
The 2 fawns get along really well.
The black female doesn't like R2 especially and didn't care for the fawn male attention either.
But at night they did pile up into one feeder box together. Which is very good progress since R2 usually slept alone.

On the other side Junior the black and white male did harass Cresty (my only crested one that I think is s female. Her sister was sickly and was returned the next day when I got them. Cresty has been more left out and picked on by the rest. She is tho the smartest one and first to explore and figure things out) so I take special frustration at Junior picking on her.
There is one fawn and white male
And 1 fawn and white possible female.
After a while the other 2 fawn joined Cresty more and she was less picked on by Junior.
Junior did get put in his place once and ebded up on the cage floor. But then one of the fawn ones groomed him and they were all sleeping together in a bunch on a perch, usually Junior tended to get left out, so some good progress there too.

I'm hoping these 2 sets will bond together.
Don't know if I will be able to combine them since R2 really hates Junior.

I can't have the cage divided indefinitely because they have no bottom trays and I need to remove the grill to clean it eventually.