What should I do?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

What should I do?

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. I wanted some advice before just 'trying' something. I have a large aviary (or small depending on who you are) with four society finch males on one side and a pair of zebra finches on the other. They're doing great. I also have another pair of zebra finches in a smaller cage on top of the aviary. Kiwi has a lame wing and she can't fly well. Their cage is 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft.
The two in the smaller cage had babies, now separated into a breeder cage because i wasn't expecting babies. The cage they're in is only a 2ft.1.5ftx1.5ft. They constantly hiss at each other and its driving me nuts!! Both of them are males as well.
My question is:
Can I introduce the two zebra males to the four society males? Would they be okay in the cage together? And what steps should I take to make sure they do get along?
OR
Should I find two zebra finch females and introduce all six birds to the aviary?
I don't really want to get more zebras because of aggression, but the two baby males that i have are fairly aggressive. Just looking for some personal experience.
OH and the aviary is 3ft tall x 3 ft long x 2 ft deep, two sides of the cage are the same. (6.5 ft long)
Attachments
IMG_0921.jpg
two smaller cages on top
two smaller cages on top
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: What should I do?

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I commend you on giving your birds lots of room! You have a nice set-up, thanks for posting the pictures.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks! It isn't perfect because I've never made anything like this before and only had a jigsaw, hand miter saw and a drill. (obv a few other things but nothing big). It was def a chore hahaha!
But the birds are happy and healthy so im okay with that.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 pm

One of the first things that bird keepers can do to promote health is giving the birds enough space. There is less stress. And a lot of problems can be solved just with the exercise they get in a larger cage.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:27 am

Yes!! I love these little guys so much and i just knew i needed to make something for the ones I had at the time. (Only two pairs in different smaller cages). I just knew they needed more room.
Though they don't interact with me as much anymore. :( My one society used to sing back to me every time I talked to him. Since he's been in with his friends he doesn't need me anymore hahaha!
But like I said, he's happier that way! I still get to sit and watch them all sing to each other haha.
Shann

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:01 am

I would suggest you add kiwi and her parent to the aviary with the society’s then out the boys into cages until u decide
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3