Rescued Zebra but what other species are compatible?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
sbupton
Pip
Pip

Rescued Zebra but what other species are compatible?

Post by sbupton » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:25 pm

About a month ago my wife rescued a lonely zebra male locked in a small cage for several months. A few cockatiels are currently part of our family and we couldn't say no to the opportunity to give this little guy a better home. After some research I quickly realized he needed a buddy so I picked up a male penguin zebra from a breeder and they bonded very quickly. Due the the unplanned adoption, I currently have them housed in a 15x15x20 cage (still much bigger than what the first guy was living in). However, I should have an aviary complete in a few weeks that is 37"(W)x21"(D)x41"(H)... before and current progress images attached (still have lock hardware, acrylic window, tile floor, M&M cage light to complete on top section).

So my question is this, what other finches might I be able to house with these guys? Originally we were thinking gouldians, owls, star and a few others, but quickly researched zebras can be pushy when housing with the more docile species. We took in this guy and his buddy to provide a forever home and now trying to figure out what else I can add to this aviary other than more zebras? I'd prefer something other than zebra and I believe this new aviary could probably house 1 or 2 other non-breeding pair. My wife would prefer to adopt something that is somewhat colorful or unique pattern. Or are we primarily stuck with zebra's now??? We'll love them no manner what, but looking for best options. Appreciate any advice in advance.

Media center found on Craigslist for $40
Media center found on Craigslist for $40
Dry fit of side doors and tile. Will be adding mosaic tile on bottom dresser front and side panels.
Dry fit of side doors and tile. Will be adding mosaic tile on bottom dresser front and side panels.
Top section painted: still needing floor tile, lock hardware, acrylic window and light installation. Won't every have my tiels around this thing, they'll chew it up in no time and get an unhealthy dose of paint in their diet.
Top section painted: still needing floor tile, lock hardware, acrylic window and light installation. Won't every have my tiels around this thing, they'll chew it up in no time and get an unhealthy dose of paint in their diet.
20181124_163018.jpg

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Rescued Zebra but what other species are compatible?

Post by wildbird » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 am

This setup could be unhealthy for your zebras. Being in an enclosed area, if you are putting glass in, will trap any fumes inside from the paint, tile, glues and any other chemicals that this item may have in it. I am a firm believer that an aviary should be constructed of wire with a free flow of air and visibility. If you were a bird, which would you rather live it? Zebras are pretty picky about cage mates, as you can see on forum topics. That's why I have Societies. Maybe someone on the forum can suggest a species for you that would work.

sbupton
Pip
Pip

Post by sbupton » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks for the response. As for fumes, I used my HVLP paint gun for my air compressor to apply the paint about a month ago, so fumes aren't as bad as many of the pressurized cans and what fumes there are from off-gassing will have dissipated by the time I move the birds in. Otherwise the paint in our houses would also be a detriment to the birds. I will also state that I would never place a hook-billed species like a budgie or cockatiel in this type of cage because they'd chew it to pieces and be poisoned from eating the paint (at that point I'd go with powered-coating if I did a custom build).

As for free-flow of air, I agree with this completely and I've tried to open up the enclosure as much as possible with wire on the side doors, top third of the back panel, and a good portion of the roof. The only acrylic is the window on the front panel. After a time if I feel it isn't working out good for the birds, I may even replace this with screen.

But yes, Zebras are very picky and hopefully we can expand the flock beyond the species but I want to be careful if I do. Nonetheless, I don't regret rescuing the little guy and now just trying to figure out the best for him.

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:52 am

Zebras can be pretty aggressive to other species, but I believe they can be housed with more passive finches like society finches, as long as there's enough space (otherwise they start beating the passive birds up). I've seen websites that list the types of finches and their temperament, so perhaps you can use those to see which specific birds you can house with your zebras? Sorry I can't say which exact websites they were...

We've also personally housed societies and zebras together, but in a cage too small so the zebras began attacking the societies. We had to get another bigger cage because of this (and also the zebras were breeding so that was another mistake we made).

I know you'd want more colorful birds in your aviary, so I would think that birds with passive temperaments like societies would do okay! I hope this helped you at all! :D
☆Orange-Cheeked Zebra Finches, Black-Cheeked Zebra Finches, and Society Finches☆

Non-finch Friends: 2 dogs, 3 English budgies, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a lovebird