question about safe tree perches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

question about safe tree perches

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi, Im looking to add a few new branches to my finch cage- I have "Althea or Rose of Sharon hibiscus syriacus" (I live in NY so there are currently no leaves or blossoms, just the branch part) I looked it up on 2 sites, one was more of a general pet bird site which had it listed in the safe category, then onto the specific finch safe or toxic site it was not listed at all, so now I am here to ask the experts for any info they may have/ or if anyone used this branch before ? your input is much appreciated :)

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Re: question about safe tree perches

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 pm

ps) I also have a maple tree, and a tulip tree- both of which do not appear on the finch site: http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/safe_a ... plants.php
if anyone has a more complete list for finch birds/ or a site with further info, please attach link, thanks again :)

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Finches don't chew on perches so practically anything you use is OK.
Branches of different diameters with rough bark are ideal for secure footing and toe nails.
I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the above. If in doubt use maple.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:54 am

paul-inAZ yes, Im going with the maple, thank you! :)

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 am

Phoenix811, you're taking a cautious approach and that's good. For others, keep in mind that lists of safe or toxic trees-plants-food on some internet sites aren't based on science. Someone just makes a list. And then someone makes a list off that list. Etc.

Also, as paul-inAZ said, finches don't chew much on perches. 'Safe for birds' is a broad category. There are huge differences between bird species, and not too many statements can apply to all birds.

Anecdotally, I don't see masses of dead birds below any particular tree, at least here in Kentucky USA.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 pm

thank u Dave, yes that makes sense. I currently have fig branches in cage which are fine, wanted to add a bit more for different texture/ size. I looked up finch birds in the wild and seen several photos of various finches on the sugar maple tree like the one I have, so Im thinking thats a safe bet. I washed all residue, mold , and what have u off with vinegar then poured boiling water over branch (to remove the vinegar smell/ plus kill any other bacteria) Im airing it out in the fresh air for past 2 days (will boil water again one more time/ air out/ then put in cage)
Thank u for your input :) much appreciated, and happy New Year :)