Bald Gouldian

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
kerryen
Pip
Pip

Bald Gouldian

Post by kerryen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 pm

I’ve never had a finch before but do have a Parrotlet and a Parakeet. My local pet store knows I’m a sucker for underdogs and pawned off this little bald guy on me. He was seen by their vet twice, a trusted local doctor that specializes in birds. No mites found but they treated him anyway. They also tried a round of antibiotics. He has not regrown feathers and they couldn’t sell him. I’ve moved him into a flight cage, he has premium seed, greens, egg food and I’ve offered scrambled egg and mealworms but he hasn’t touched them. I don’t care if he ever gets feathers, but wondered if anyone has advice? I also am wondering if he’s ok to love alone or if I should get him a friend? He’s been alone a long time, he lived in their back room for at least 4 months in a tiny cage by himself while they waited for feathers and I’ve had him a month.

Thanks,
Kerry
Attachments
D054B927-3767-4B05-9DB1-AC92C935862B.jpeg

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Bald Gouldian

Post by Hilary » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:49 pm

Gouldians aren't cuddlers like some other finches, but they do seem to enjoy quiet company. If you don't want to invest in another gouldian, maybe a society? It sounds like you're giving him a great diet. Generally the advice for balding in gouldians is to give them additional iodine in their diet - a safe (and easy way) would be to add oyster shell (or I use Abba mineral grit) as a supplement in the cage for him to pick at when he chooses.

Good luck!
Hilary

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Bald Gouldian

Post by wildbird » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 pm

Great advice from Hilary. You could also provide kelp which has iodine. I give my birds the granulated form from ladygouldianfinch.com. You may also find some information about balding gouldians at this website. Even without the feathers, that's a pretty bird!