HELP!! Introducing Zebra finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

HELP!! Introducing Zebra finches

Post by ShannTmw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 pm

I have a male and female in one half of my split aviary (7 ft wide - split = 3w x 2d x 4h), two males in a separate cage because i had a pair have babies. I was told by my landlord to get rid of one of the cages. In order to do that properly I either had to give away two birds, or find two more. I know it has to be one pair or three or more.
I ended up getting two females. So after a 32 days in a hospital cage, the girls were healthy enough.
I cleaned the cage completely, took everything out and cleaned it, added more perches and foliage, more food and water bowls, and no nests at all.
None of the birds seem to really like each other. One male is sitting alone and refuses anyone on the side of the cage, one female seems to have chosen her male and won't let anyone even close to her. One female sleeps in the food and the other male and female are close to the bottom of the cage. There is hissing, pecking and chasing, especially from the single male and the aggressive female.
My question is, is this normal? What should I do the help?
This is the second day, i introduced them yesterday morning..
Attachments
IMG_0600 2.JPG
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Re: HELP!! Introducing Zebra finches

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 pm

fisrt let me say I am not an expert (there are plenty here whom have given me guidance) I have 2 finches, one orange cheek waxbill, and one red cheek cordon bleu (both male) I do have a bit of experience in introducing the 'new bird' (cordon bleu) who is twice the size of my orange cheek and was VERY agressive at the start. I learned that 'diversion' tactics work best when they are not getting along, and that they both LOVE watching videos of finch birds singing and flying around on youtube- its amazing they both fly around and chirp and are very happy as soon as I put it on, and then this slowly started to carry over to times without youtube. They both also love millet seed which I hang one for each where they perch and they go about chomping away and forget about the other one. Lastly, the importance of a bath- any clear glass bowl will do, and this rejuvenates them, helps with depression etc-and can help them socialize as they will all be drawn to the water- u can place a small bowl on the bottom of the cage away from food. Right now your birds were 're-homed' and there is an adjustment process that needs to take place (which may take up to one month). Imagine u being moved into a place with all new strangers. I would also add perches, cut branches whatever towards the bottom of the cage where a few of the birds seem to be hanging out avoiding the others. The female in the food dish does not feel safe, She needs her own perch, preferrably somewhere near the food dish. These are just my suggestions. ps ) a little more light in that cage may also be a plus. All the best to u.
ps) after I posted this I noticed your pic and u do have perches at the bottom, so maybe just something for the female in the food dish, or even an empty food dish for her (if thats where she is comfortable and this way the other birds will not disturb her trying to get the food) Also, thats a GREAT cage, and very cool names for your finches! <3

ShannTmw
Nestling
Nestling

Post by ShannTmw » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I added more food and water at the bottom, Ill look into getting a different bowl for bathing. The millet keeps falling so I need to make some adjustments for that too. This morning was a bit better for them but since they become more active, thats when the hissing and chasing happens...
I had a light that I was going to be attaching to the wall behind the cage, but the damn thing broke so I'm just going to grab a couple clamp lights from walmart LOL. The pic was taken when I shut the lights off. I had the other half covered for my societies, it isn't bright enough at the top of the cage but its a lot brighter then the pic. haha.. And need to find something better to hold the perches lol... (so much to fix...)
I also added bigger food and water dishes to the top. I'm going to move them around. Put two on the one side, two on the bottom and two on the other. There isn't a perch next to the food dish so i'll make sure it is.
She hasn't been in the dish today tho, so thats good.
Shann

Have four Zebra finch hens named Kiwi & Amethyst, Echo & Safari, four males named Ambrose & Onyx, Abraham Lincoln & Balor, Six Society finch males named Java, Nike, Zorro, Jasper, Jude & Shadow

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 pm

a little trick I learned in holding the millet- was those little twisty ties they use on bread, u can twist it to the millet so its secure and then twist it to top of cage (I usually attach 2 twisties together- if not- a close pin might work, even a piece of twine or string.
Holding the perches in place is a pain, I have a wire bar cage and Ive sawed a line in the perch to line up with the bar, however- u can place the perch where u want it, than outside the perch/cage place a small water bottle cap so that the flat side is facing the perch and the open side is facing u, and then if u have a screw gun, place a screw in the middle (my dads an engineer so I have wacky ideas LOL, but they do work!)
well thats good, we already have an improvement that she is out of the bowl. The thing to remember is- every finch is different, and have total diff personalities, u have to pay attention and adjust the environment to fit their needs. My 2 birds are SOOO different, so I have a set up for one (I got him with a disfigured foot - so he can fly to close perches or hop from perches close together- whereas the other one has perches spread far apart so he can fly / leap- they have different abilities, so just pay attention and u will figure it out. Also, they can come to understand the word NO. When one goes after the other I say NO and they stop, even if u have to seperate them and take the agressive one out into the hospital cage for a day to simmer down- it works. ps my one with the injured foot was attacked by other birds in the pet store cage (which is why I got him/ as somehwhat of a rescue, as he was the runt and the one they all went after) its survival of the fittest in nature- they are literally developing a 'pecking order' at the moment.
ps) u may also be able to hold the perches in place with cable ties- I purchased some on amazon for less than 3 dollars. Someone with your type of cage can prob give u better advice. Also, I learned ALOT from the youtube videos, seeing the different ways cages were set up etc, you'd be surprised. Good luck! :D