Lighting and cage covering

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
singsong
Pip
Pip

Lighting and cage covering

Post by singsong » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi, there, me again, with more newbie questions!

We've got our four finches in a large double flight cage (this one: https://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/PA5699 ) in our bedroom. It's a great size for them, and we love being able to sit in bed and watch the birds fly around.

The only problem is that we also use the bedroom well into the evening (usually until between 10 to 11 PM). I've been turning off the cage lights around sunset and then covering the cage with a sheet a few hours later. That seems fine if I move slowly, but once the lights go out for the night, it's too dark for them. One of my boys freaked out last night when I turned the lamp off, and I was scared he'd get really hurt. It was pretty clear he couldn't see where he was going. :(

Should I cover the cage while we're using the lights in the bedroom, then uncover it when we go to bed? That would allow some of the room's ambient light into the cage (and maybe the street light from outside). Or is it better to put a dim light inside the cage, under the cover? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Lighting and cage covering

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:21 pm

I think it is easiest to cover the cage at sunset, when you have room lights on. Then, when the room lights are off for the night, uncover the cage.

Ambient room light at night, unless your house is really dark, should be enough to help avoid night fright. But, not so much that the birds don't get their rest.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:55 pm

I had the same issue with my 2 finches, so I cover the cage and leave a corner of it open several inches until I turn the lights out- then I gently close the cover, I also have a bright night light on the other side which I leave a small opening to allow a little light to be seen.
Plan b) u may also want to consider a different cover- one that does not completely black out the cage (u can use a sheet / cut down to size) if u opt to do this , than u might want to 'black out' your own windows, with a heavier curtain, unless of course u get up at the crack of dawn.
Lastly, some birds take a few days or weeks to adjust to the routine- the one who freaks out now will calm down, but personally I would never leave my birds in complete blackness- even if they lived in the wild they would have some lighting. (Imagine opening your front door at night and u were blind couldnt see a thing in front of u/ everything was black) We have to put ourselves in their shoes (feathers LOL) good luck! :D

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 pm

or plan c):
I don't cover mine. Canaries are the main birds that are photoperiod sensitive -not finches.
They pretty much settle down and doze off around sunset regardless of room lighting or activities.
Some in my living room have added light on a timer that turns off around 7:30 PM [thats for me to watch them]. From then on they are not very active and not the least bothered by activity, lighting, TV etc.
I have darkness-activated night light in the area to give them some dim light all night.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 am

(@paul-inAZ according to wikipedia a canary is a small songbird in the finch family...its also in every book on Finches #justsaying) all the best to u and your birds :lol:

singsong
Pip
Pip

Post by singsong » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! What I've found is that my mistake was trying to mess with the cage cover while it was too dark in the room. The movement of the sheet would startle them, and if it was too dark for them to see, they'd freak out and fly into the cage bars.

Here's what's working for me now:

At around sunset, I turn off the cage lights. While all lights in the room are still on, I cover the cage most of the way, leaving just the front open so they have enough light to settle. Once they've found the perches they want for the night, I very slowly and gently pull the front of the cover down. I can then continue using the room with the lights on and it doesn't seem to bother them, and when I eventually do turn the room lights off, they're already sleeping, so they aren't bothered.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help! :)

FinchMama
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by FinchMama » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 am

Singsong, I'm glad you found a method that works for you and your birdies. :)