Unexpected Eggs - Advice Needed.

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unexpected Eggs - Advice Needed.

Post by Hyansith » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm new to keeping finches, although I know quite a bit about them as I work in a pet shop and thus have studied them.

Long story short, I've had 3 African Silverbills for about 3 weeks. 1 cock and 2 hens. I was convinced they weren't getting on as the male was getting chased and pecked quite a bit. He's been singing and dancing quite a bit, but the girls just didn't seem bothered at all. No worry I think, I wasn't really planning any serious breeding of any kind, they are still really lovely birds. So..... you can imagine my surprise a few days ago when I realise there are 4 eggs in the nest.

Now, I've no idea if they are fertile. If fertile, I have no idea which of the hens is laying. Both hens are nesting pretty much constantly. When they aren't they are taking turns getting food and water etc and pecking at the male, but there is always one bird in the nest at any given time. At night all 3 birds enter the nest until morning when the male emerges.

I could really do with some advice on how to tell if the eggs are fertile without candling them (I don't want to tamper with the nest) and furthermore what I should or shouldn't be doing for both the eggs and my birds.

Thanks in advance.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Unexpected Eggs - Advice Needed.

Post by wildbird » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 am

I don't raise birds, but I know that when eggs are layed, the females need lots of calcium, like finely crushed egg shells, crushed oyster shell and cuttlebone. You should also, provide either store bought dry egg food or hard boil an egg. I cut the egg in half and grate some with a kitchen grater. Then I add some grated raw carrot or brocolli. Rinse any raw vegetables with water to remove any pesticide before using. If you use boiled egg, be sure to change it out every two hours so it doesn't spoil. The dried egg food from the store can stay in.

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently feeding a mix of seed and dry egg food. They don't seem to go for the egg food when I mix it up into a paste. Will this egg food suffice for calcium or should I provide another source? They do have a cuttlebone and mineral block in the cage with them, but I've never seen them use it.

Again, I've tried feeding them greens but they never seem to bother with it. Maybe if I start mixing it in with the other food that will work.

I think I've worked out which of the hens is mother now, but will continue my observations. Going to the cage a bit of clean today but I'm a little anxious about disturbing them.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Mine are finicky too! Put out ground egg shells, she’s hasn’t shown interest. No interest in cuttlebone. I have Lefaber's crumble (daily diet) they don’t touch that, so I’m inclined to think she's going to refuse egg food, but I ordered it anyway. I’ll just keep offering. Hard boiled egg is next with the above grated vegetables. I’m in the same boat lol

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Nikita, thanks for replying.

When you do your egg shells are they just from eggs you've used in the kitchen, that you then clean up? I've tried feeding them a whole boiled egg, crushed up with the shell but they weren't interested in that either.

I think there might be bits of shell in the grit I provide for them, but there's no way of knowing as it's not indicated on the packaging. It does feel really chalky to the touch though so hopefully it'll be sufficient. :/

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi Hyansith!

Yes I offered the shells from eggs I use at home. I rinse them super well with plain water, rubbing my thumb on the inside to get all egg matter off. Then I let them sit out and dry. After they dry I put them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. Then I crush them up in small pieces and store until I use them. Right before I use them I pulverize with mortar and pestle. I used to do this for my hens. But it is only the first time for my finches.

I’m going to continue offering them. In a separate tiny bowl and sprinkle some on food and in grit. We have to keep offering it. Lol

I’m also going to try to get the oyster shells. I’m a newbie at this like you. My biggest fear is her getting egg bound. I love her so much I’d be heart broken. She’s so cute. Lol

Mine have been here maybeeee three weeks. They’re happy and laying. I put a question out about the fake eggs to slow them down which I found on Amazon. I only have so many friends to share with lol

I also read on this site about a calcium supplement. The link provided didn’t work. Hopefully someone will read this and help about the supplement.

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info on the eggs. I'll make sure to save any I use in future. I think I'll start sprinkling it into the food as they are so fussy about anything I put in a separate bowl, they just ignore it completely!

I saw your question about fake eggs, but as I'm a noob wasn't sure if I had any input. Although I do remember a long time ago a breeder told me he used to keep infertile eggs to put into nests to trick his canaries into stopping laying. No idea if this is accurate, though he had been breeding for many many years.

I mean, I work in a pet shop so I do actually know quite a bit about finches. I suppose I was just a bit naive about the whole breeding side of things. Oops!! :)

Let me know how you get on with your little ones, would love to see pictures eventually.

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:17 pm

After 7 days of nesting they seem to have abandoned the nest. :(

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 am

Wow!! That’s interesting! I wonder what happened. I wanted to tell you. I found a really good site for you to visit. They have everything you’d need. I’m currently putting an order together based on the posts I’ve read.

https://ladygouldianfinch.com/

To navigate hit: All avian products

I just wanted to mention to you. I wonder what the group will say about your birds. Mine are still sitting as of now. Hmmm, maybe they’ll go back to sitting. I’ll be watching.

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:20 pm

Nikita

Thanks again for the website, I'll be sure to take a look.

I swapped the nest out for a new one and was able to inspect the eggs. 5 were intact and one was broken. Whether this is what caused them to abandon I don't know. It does seem odd that they would sit for nearly 8 days and then just change their minds.

What's also been interesting is the dynamic between the 3 of them. While nesting the females were really aggressive with the male, almost to the point where I thought I might have to intervene. As soon as they abandoned the eggs everything went back to normal and they are all friends again. I expect this is normal roosting behaviour, but fascinating all the same. They seem pretty happy right now, so I'm just going to enjoy them and see what happens.

Sounds like you are having a little more success than me. :) Keep me posted.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:46 am

I keep silver bills I have two pairs in my aviary and I’ve found the best solution is to put the nest in the darkest part or if they in a cage put a towel over one corner and then stick the nest here then give them plenty of nesting material, straw etc

Then add in a good diet : lettuce, grit, boiled egg then mashed, peas and mixed seed diet this will make them happy and know there is enough stuff to raise the chicks therefore they should be more committed.

Good luck on next time, it might be good to try and take the nest out till the three are paired then let them have the nest back

Hope inhelped
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Fraza Thanks for the input, I think I will follow your advice and remove the nest for a little while. Do you think it'd also be worth rearranging the cage nest time they are out for a bit of fly time? If so, I will do as this will allow me to better position the nest when I go to put it back in. One corner of the cage is much more shielded than where the nest is currently.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Hyansith yeah do that it would be a good idea and I had 7 silverbills in my aviary before I got rid of 3 and they got along fine so it isn’t anything to do with the odd numbers

And it would be good to see pictures of them I have three different type of colour types so I’m curious if yours are any different
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Fraza I also 3 birds of differing colours. I've got a few pictures of them but have no idea how to post pictures. As soon as I've worked it out, I'll get some posted.

I haven't seen many posts related to silver bills so I'd be interest to see yours also. I sort of fell in love with them and when the breeder said he only had 3 left I snapped them up. :)

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Hyansith » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm

No idea if that's going to work or not.