Eggs-Dummy ones please

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Nikita
Pip
Pip

Eggs-Dummy ones please

Post by Nikita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello all! I’m new to the forum. I own two Zebra Finches who are the cutest match...and now I have four eggs. Not sure if they are fertilized but time will tell. I’ve been reading the forum and I have to say I’m so glad it exists. This is wonderful. I used to raise 54 hens and several posts are refreshing my memory to management. I have several questions as they are very different birds, but I figured one question at a time.

I noticed people mentioning the fake eggs, so I found some made just for finches. Expensive! Lol

Do dummy eggs actually work? Also, this question may have no correlation, it won’t cause her to become egg bound will it?

Much thanks!

Would like to add pictures but they’re sizes are too big

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Eggs-Dummy ones please

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Nikita

You can make fake eggs out of clay, but you'll have to make them about the same size and shape as the real eggs, or the birds might not think they are eggs.

Dummy eggs work short-term, and should keep a pair sitting for a few weeks if the eggs are replaced with them, but may be less effective if you have not replaced the eggs the hen laid with them; she will sometimes still lay a few if she hadn't laid any that clutch. It depends a bit on the bird. They should not cause egg-binding; if the hen already has an egg being formed, she will still lay it. The fake eggs may prevent her from forming a new egg a day or two later, since many finches stop laying after seeing 5-7 eggs in their nest.

Removing the nests and nesting sites works to stop most hens from laying, so I would recommend that first. Some species like zebras and non-European society finches are more prone to chronic egg-laying even without a nest, so at that point you could give them a nest and replace eggs laid with fakes. This should prevent laying for at least two weeks.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:30 am

You might find the fake eggs less expensive if there are any bird marts in your area.

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:50 am

Hi Icearstorm!

Thanks so much got the info. I’m having fun with them laying eggs at the moment. But I really don’t want a ton of breeding going on. In fact, I just want to keep the two so they are happy together without scuffles in the cage. Ugh! I’d end up with the prolific pair! I’m so excited about owning them, wouldn’t change it. But then I’m like, what did you get yourself in to. Lol I hate the thought of taking the make out of the cage on occasion. They are so gooey happy together.

Hi Wildbird!
I think I’ll just purchase them. If I had more time I would make them myself. But it’s easier to just purchase. I found a finch site that I could purchase fewer eggs for a reduced price luckily.