Zebra Finch - Egg Tossed With Chick

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Nikita
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch - Egg Tossed With Chick

Post by Nikita » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Hello,

Ugh! My Zebra Finches tossed an egg with a pertially developed chick in it. I’m so bummed out. They are very happy with their environment. Dark, spacious nest they are very content with. They laid their first egg on February 11th. My intention to help keep the nest clean dropped the an egg. Total eggs laid 5. They tossed one today. Three left. Today is the 25th. Nothing hatched yet.

The one on the ground was not 100% developed. I have a picture. Will try to post. Head, beak, neck, body for the most part.

I finally provided hard boiled egg today. She’s nuts about millet so I sprinkled some on top and pulled the seed mix out.

I’m nervous about what food to have in the cage if any chicks survive. I red you should pull the seed mix out?

:( So sad

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebra Finch - Egg Tossed With Chick

Post by Hilary » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:06 am

Sorry about the tossed egg. It's hard to tell with finches - sometimes they accidentally knock an egg out, sometimes they'll toss one they know isn't viable, and sometimes they just toss. I would minimize any disturbances while they're sitting - no harm in letting the cage and nest get dirty for a bit. I've never heard about pulling the seed - I always left mine in. The hard boiled egg is great, and when the chicks hatch will give them something more nutritious to feed the chicks than just the seed.

Good luck!
Hilary

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks Hilary

I hope there’s no more tossing with this clutch.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Who said that seeds should be pulled out!!
Like this u will kill the whole finch familly. Do not worry give them hard boilled eggs and they will knew very well what to do with it.

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Haroun,

Just noticed your post. Sorry about the delay. I read it on an article /web site regarding breeding parents and food. Probably an egg food company. No worries, I kept the seed and added an array of new seeds and foods for them. I made a purchase on Ladygouldianfinch.com I added Japanese millet, they get spray millet, egg food, the LOVE sweet pea sprouts, dill, miracle meal, herb salad, Lefabers.

They ignore most except for the sunburst parrot seed mix, all the other seed I put out and the fresh greens. I keep offering in hopes that they will take to the miracle meal, egg food and lefabers just so I know they have a well rounded diet.

I’m going to keep experimenting with the boiled eggs. I’m hoping that when the babies come out they will experiment the new foods and take a liking to them. Mine are set on seeds and greens.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 pm

When I was breeding my gouldians I would combine dried egg food with boiled egg (just mash it up together) and they loved it. Or if they like their miracle meal try mashing some of that with fresh egg. Just be sure to take out what's left in the evening.

It sounds like you're giving them great care. Good luck!
Hilary