Teething problems with a new finch family.

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Astico
Pip
Pip

Teething problems with a new finch family.

Post by Astico » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm new(ish) to keeping finches and new to the forum.

I am currently trying to mix my original pair, with a male who lost his (male) mate, and three new zebra finches.

They are in a large indoor cage, 81x54x175 cm but have access to the whole room all day.

I'll have to use their names so it doesn't get confusing, so please forgive my super sentimental names! :lol:

I'm on day 3, and I've had to isolate the single male Paragot. He is absolutely obsessed with the original female Scarlet, and is fighting with her mate Vision. Scarlet seems undecided between Paragot and Vision, and Vision has taken an interest in Emisha so I thought they might swap, but any time Scarlet sees Vision and Emisha together, she chases Emisha away. Emisha also seems interested in Paragot and when they roost up for the evening she snuggles in next to him. In true girl form, Scarlet and Emisha seem very fond of each other, I've seen them preening each other in quieter moments.

I've tried to catch Emisha to put her with Paragot for a little one on one bonding, but I just can't catch her and I'm loathe to keep trying because it's been stressful for everyone, and I don't want them to be petrified every time they see me, especially the 3 newies who don't know that me chasing them round isn't the norm!

Loki and Iolanthie have paired up since day one and aren't causing any trouble at all (At the moment) and currently all 5 seem to be fine together, while Paragot is going out of his mind.

I've put his cage next to the others.

I know the cage would probably be better flipped on it's side to give them the length, but I thought with them having the room to fly around in the day would save me having to do this as there are various other logistical difficulties that would cause.

I've also mixed the perches round every day, but the problem is, they don't seem to be fighting over territory, they're fighting over Scarlet!

I'll upload some photos when I find my phone, which I've lost in amongst all the chaos!

Sugarplum
Pip
Pip

Re: Teething problems with a new finch family.

Post by Sugarplum » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:07 pm

oh... you could introduce a new female, to get Paragot from trying to get Scarlet?