New to finches

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
JoshyTheDuckMan
Pip
Pip

New to finches

Post by JoshyTheDuckMan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm very nervous about getting some finches because I'm afraid they will fight, I'm looking to get 2 male zebra finches but if their was a different type that got along better I would be okay to choose them. I'm wondering if they would be happy without a female as I'm not interested in breeding and what should I do to help prevent fighting thank you.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: New to finches

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm

JoshyTheDuckMan

Zebras can be aggressive. They typically are fine in pairs, but all too often they get along for a while and then start fighting when something changes. Breaking up the line of sight can reduce aggression; provide cover like real or fake plants, but still leave enough room for the birds to fly from one end of the cage to another. Two males should get along as well as any other pairing (which isn't always well).

I'd recommend societies instead, as there is very little risk of fighting with them. I currently have four, and they all get along. They are fairly active birds, and tend to use all of the cage. A pair of males would be best, as non-Euro females are prone to chronic laying. They seem to prefer being in groups, but a pair should be okay once they have the chance to settle in.

Gouldians could also be a good choice; if you get them from a good breeder, they are not nearly as frail as a lot of sources would like you to think. I'd still avoid blue gouldians at first, though, as they tend to experience more health problems. A pair of males would work. Gouldians do need more specialized care than zebras and societies if they are to remain in top shape, but this still isn't particularly difficult. They will need a longer cage, as they don't tend to use as much of the height. Some may require iodine supplementation. Gouldians also have a heavy moult, so a moderately warm area and protein and fat are key at this time (although other species should also be getting eggfood every day when they are moulting). An austerity diet of lower-fat seed and reduced softfood may also be beneficial for a few weeks during non-breeding season. Gouldians are not quite as active as societies from what I've seen.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Another vote for societies or Gouldians. Both are peaceful. Societies are more social amongst themselves & cheap enough that you can get four of them for the price of one Gouldian. A good starter bird.
Care is pretty simple for both.
When I had societies I didn't run into chronic egg laying.

Zebras can be amiable but can suddenly turn vicious. Their nonstop twittering noise irritated me so I quit them quickly.

JoshyTheDuckMan
Pip
Pip

Post by JoshyTheDuckMan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Thank you guys :D I've decided on two male society finches with the idea of adding 2 more in the future, any advice you have? Would they like a nest? I've read that 2 zebra males will fight over it. I'm trying to soak up all the information I can thanks again!

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:54 pm

2 Male Societies will not fight over a nest...they will pile into it together and enjoy stuffing it with nesting material. BUT if you end up with a female (difficult to tell apart) you will have eggs! Bottom line: they don't need a nest...although they sure look cute in one.