Chicks first day out of the nest!

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Nikita
Pip
Pip

Chicks first day out of the nest!

Post by Nikita » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi All!

I’m so excited that the chicks finally came out of the nest! So much fun I had to share.

Their cage is 30” long. I am going to upgrade to a longer cage for them. The little ones are going to my friends depending on the sexes they turn out to be. I’m so excited about that too. Funny, the smaller one comes off as a female to me.

Can anyone recommend a good book to read on Zebra Finches and Finches in general? The books I found have mixed reviews. Also, I would like to join a finch club. I’m wondering which is a good finch club to join. I live in NJ. I hope I can get some advice on that. Any info would really be appreciated.

Question:

How many weeks does it take before I know if they’re male or female?

My one finch chick has a white flight feather. I like it. Just wondering if it will stay that color?

So excited! Lol Hope you enjoy the photos.
Attachments
4FF10E9B-1334-447F-B7B1-AEC1DC5313E7.jpeg

Hyansith
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Chicks first day out of the nest!

Post by Hyansith » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Nikita

Lovely pictures. They look amazing. I think it takes about 6 weeks for them to fully colour up, then you'll be sure of the sexes. I think that one at the front is a female though.

When I was studying I used a book called "The Handbook of Cage and Aviary Birds". Published by Magnet and Steel. It has a good section on finches and explores loads of different types.

My Silverbills are sitting again, hopefully I'll have more luck this time.

vafa
Pip
Pip

Post by vafa » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 pm

good point. the one in front sure looks a female. when you have dark color baby finches, the ones with a yellowish tummy feather are most likely females and the ones with white tummy feather are males.
but there are always exceptions.
they will start showing colorful feathers indicating their gender by about 4 weeks and upward.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Nikita

Nice! Pied is recessive in zebras as far as I understand, which could explain the white. Some birds get white feathers due to protein deficiency, but since this is a zebra and only one feather is white, I would not imagine this is a problem.

Nikita
Pip
Pip

Post by Nikita » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Hyansith, Vafa and Icearstorm,

Thank you all for responding,

Hyansith, I haven’t forgotten you. I’m just trying to get to my computer to write up the info I promised to send. I will get to that soon. Fingers crossed on your Silverbills! So much fun watching them go through the process. I’m excited for you! Thanks for the book referral. I’ll take a look at it.

Vafa, As I watch them I bounce back and forth as to what sex they might turn out to be. Lol I’ll be posting about them, soon we’ll know. Lol

Icearstorm, that’s an interesting bit of info. It’ll be interesting to see if it keeps that white feather or not. I offered hard boiled and egg food. Still put it out, in hopes that the fledglings will take to it.

Much thanks!