New to Gouldians

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Velocirapture
Pip
Pip

New to Gouldians

Post by Velocirapture » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Hello I’m new to the forum and also kinda new to Finches. My sister and each inherited a pair of green back Gouldian Finches from my grandpa who passed away in December. She is currently taking care of both pairs. While doing my research on these birds I found out about the different color mutations and became a huge fan of the blue back gouldians. So I found a guy in Arizona that was a breeder and inquired about getting some of the other color mutations. Long story short I picked up three pairs of Gouldian last Friday.

A blue back, purple breast, tan head male.
A blue back, purple breast, black head male.
A silver back, purple breast, tan head male.
3 yellow back, purple breast female each with a different head color.

The blue back, black head and one of the females went to my mom and the rest are mine. I’m hoping they will breed and I have already set up nest boxes for them. Currently I am quarantining them for a month before I bring my green pair that my sister is taking care of.

Any pointers from experienced breeders will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
A8823C24-C769-4772-93DE-A54450214605.jpeg
4674F452-ACAE-4395-BB8B-0539C9E8BE9C.jpeg
D5A3294B-9734-406D-8602-BDC870F4B58C.jpeg
100DECB1-FD45-4593-8DE8-605A86B28F09.jpeg

Velocirapture
Pip
Pip

Re: New to Gouldians

Post by Velocirapture » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:45 am

So a little update. Blue has been fluffed up lately and I’m worried he isn’t going to make it. Today I put some s76 on him in hopes it will help but he hasn’t been moving much.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

Don't rule out the possibility of a molt. Most of mine are molting now.
That can be a tough time for them. Add some egg food to their diet to provide protein needed for growing feathers in case that is what is happening.
Who did you buy these from?
It is helpful if you put your location into your profile.

Velocirapture
Pip
Pip

Post by Velocirapture » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Thank you for the input. I updated my profile to show my location. I found this guy in phoenix Arizona who breeds gouldians his website is https://www.azfinches.com/ he didn’t have the birds I wanted but he was ordering some from a guy in Florida who he gets his birds from and he added the birds I wanted to his order. The silver was acting up a little before but he’s doing fine. Blue has been fluffed up and tucking his head in and not moving much. I listened to blue’s breathing and believe I heard some clicking that’s why I used the s76 on him. I have offered some mashed boiled egg to him but he doesn’t seem interested. Also offered some chopped carrots and Romain lettuce and he pecked at it a little yesterday but didn’t seem interested. He barely was moving this morning but saw him eating a little. I have water with electrolyte powder in his cage as well.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Mine have showed minimal acceptance of fresh egg food.
I use Quicko Classic dried egg food that is available from Petsmart or Petco. They like it and there is no risk of it going bad.

Yours have had a lot of travel from Florida to that reseller. Pretty stressful.
Hope they recover.

Velocirapture
Pip
Pip

Post by Velocirapture » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks Paul for your help. I’m sad to say my blue didn’t make it. I still have my silver and two yellows. My mom has several green backs she offered to give me a male to pair up to the other yellow. Sad about the blue since he was my favorite though. Glad the others seem to be doing fine though.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 pm

PM sent.