Buying birds on the internet, anyone?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Buying birds on the internet, anyone?

Post by ericabelle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Hello! Does anyone know of, or have experience with, any online bird breeders that ship their birds? The sellers that keep coming up in my internet searches are The Finch Farm in Washington state and Fly Babies in Florida. Or should birds even be shipped? Does anyone have a strong opinion about that? I know I have only had a betta fish shipped overnight and worried myself to death over him!

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Buying birds on the internet, anyone?

Post by wildbird » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 pm

What state are you located in and what kind of birds were planning on buying? It's always better to go to the seller and see the birds if you can. It would be better for the bird too. There's always risk in shipping; the bird may not arrive on schedule or may even be lost. It seems like it would be quite stressful for the bird, but a lot of people do it, and most of the time they arrive on schedule and everything is ok. There is more information in past posts on this forum about shipping.

ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Post by ericabelle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am

I'm in southern Missouri, so I've been looking for breeders in Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, and eastern Kentucky. I've found just a few advertised online, that I could visit; but the conditions in the photos didn;t look too good.
I really would like to find some Java Finches and/or some Cordon Blues.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:36 pm

ericabelle - Hi, I would suggest you research bird clubs in your area. In the club I belong to we know each other pretty well and like to buy/sell birds from and to each other. Another advantage would be that the birds would be used to your climate and you can probably bring the birds home in less than an hour.
iso

ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Post by ericabelle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Good idea, isobea - the closest bird club is 3 & 1/2 hours away, but I don't mind driving that at all. I'm sure they would be able to point me in the right direction for a good breeder. Thanks!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:10 am

There is a Kentucky finch group on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/183575195368039/
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

ericabelle
Pip
Pip

Post by ericabelle » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks, Dave!