New bird man

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Dave H
Pip
Pip

New bird man

Post by Dave H » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi, hope everyone is well.
I'm Dave. Completely new to the hobby, as in I'm yet to own any birds - although I've been reading up on stuff for the past 3 months now.
My plan is to eventually build a large outdoor aviary, but as a complete new comer to the hobby - I'd like to start small & gain as much experience as I can first before I jump into such a big commitment. So, ill be getting a pair of Bengalese Finches in the next two weeks, once my cage arrives & Ive got everything I need for my new birds. I want to work towards owning Gouldian Finches at some point, but realise they're probably not the best bird to start off with.

Hopefully, I can use this forum to become more knowledgeble. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the not too distant future.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: New bird man

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Dave H hi I notice ur from Manchester to, I’ve been breeding fishes for a few years now and have a outdoor aviary with mixed species it is good that someone local has joined in the future we could trade birds

If you need any tips just ask me for some
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 am

Welcome to the forum, Dave. It looks like you have a good plan. Good luck with your new birds.

Dave H
Pip
Pip

Post by Dave H » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks Wildbird.- I appreciate that :D

Fraza, Ive come across your birds online when Ive been reading up on local breeders & what not. Glad theres somebody local on here to share my ideas with. Our Manchester climate isnt the best for birds is it haha

As far as my past bird experience goes, my unlce once had a huge Budgie aviary, but dont remember it too much cuz I was only little then. We used to have Budgies in the house too but again, I was young back then so never really did any upkeep.

We had a Cockatiel for a while too. I was 12 & on my paper round when I found him. He was hiding in a bush & looked all bedraggled & was completely bald on his head apart from his crest. I emptied my paper bag & threw it over him then took him home. My mum nursed him back to health although his feathers never grew back. I got fired for leaving all the newspapers but I wasnt bothered cuz Id saved his life. We had him for 13 years before he died - probably of old age

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Dave H no way that’s crazy abit the cockatiel and yeah once you have started breeding etc we can trade some
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Dave, welcome to TFF, i'm also from Murky Manchester and would love to build an outdoor aviary but i have to question the wisdom given the horrible weather we are forced to endure.Your birds will be a daily commitment 365 days a year come wind,rain and snow

Dave H
Pip
Pip

Post by Dave H » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Cheers Tex

Yea, thats why I wanna start off small to begin with. If I do alright with my first 2, I'll gradually build up until I feel confident enough to take the leap to an outdoor set up.

If I do eventually decide to take that route, Ive got a huge space outside to accomodate a proper set up. We'll see how it goes