Bird Selection

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Doug
Pip
Pip

Bird Selection

Post by Doug » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Finally able to have an outdoor aviary & beginning the trek with education. Hoping to draw on the experienced to steer me to sensible species selection. Live in Tampa Bay Florida area and have an ideal covered & shaded setting (8'x8'x10'h). I'd like some smaller song birds that could handle the hot, humid weather here much of the year. Carolina wrens will often nest in our back yard. Frequent Cardinal visits also. Envisioning about 10 birds or so but don't want the loud gawking noise made by some. Any suggestions? Thanks, Doug.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Bird Selection

Post by wildbird » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm

When building your aviary, keep in mind the snakes, possums, squirrels, raccoons, cats, rats and other predators that come around especially at night. Also, if a hurricane comes through, can you move them to another safe location? Just things to consider when building. Good luck with your new birds.

Doug
Pip
Pip

Re: Bird Selection

Post by Doug » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Thank you for the response. I guess I hadn't thought of snakes. I have seen a few black snakes around. I need to get on line more and do some reading on this forum. Thank you again for the heads up.