Aviary Build Advice

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Aviary Build Advice

Post by Stickgal » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 pm

So, I had a pair of strawberries a hundred years ago when the idea was small birds, small cage. I have been planning a Finch family for awhile and have been processing all the ins and outs. My hubby will be building me a solid glass front aviary with mesh sides (doors) and a mesh top. It will be a wooden console style and will have a hard wood back with wooden strips to attach some type of lattice for attaching vines, etc. It will have a slide-out drawer for droppings and such. I'm thinking 36 wide by 36 high (50-something high with the legs) and about 14 inches deep. I plan to have 5 finches: 2 strawberries, 2 owls and 1 green singer.

I have ordered bird-safe vines, 2 small swings, 2 glass hanging dishes (one for a communal feeder and one for bathing) youI ordered a pair of extra regular feed cups for treats and a private food cup. I got a large branch-like perch and a smaller one. I'm not planning to breed, so no nests. Oh, and a play ladder.

Questions:
1. Besides food, what have I left out?
2. What meds should I have on hand to start with?
3. Does the above setup sound ok for 5?
4. I'm nervous about catching and clipping nails. I saw the suggestions on catching, but is there one on clipping nails?

Thanks for any help!
I'm very happy being me, although sometimes I'd love to be a bird so that I could fly. Joy Fielding

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Aviary Build Advice

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Sit in a chair that you really like, and that you'll use while watching your birds. Measure the distance from the floor to your eye level. That should be the height of the center of your cage.

If you're comfortable and it is easy to watch your birds, then you'll do it more. And thus see and observe more. If you're paying attention, the birds will tell you what part of your design is working and what isn't.

I've heard that Green Singers can be aggressive, but others who have had them can be more accurate on that one.

Also--in 25+ years of working with finches, the only medicine I've used is Ivermectin, plus, rarely, Avian Insect Liquidator.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks!!
I'm very happy being me, although sometimes I'd love to be a bird so that I could fly. Joy Fielding

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:28 am

Stickgal I think it all sounds good but maybe for the roof you could add a plastic on the top (seethrough if wanted) that way rain won’t get in to much and ruin it inside, plus it will stop wild bird pooping into your aviary.

And post pictures when it’s done !!!
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:43 am

It's gonna be inside, but thx!

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:44 am

I will post pics as we go

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:10 am

Stickgal Ohright sorry haha, ignore my miss reading

And goodluck with the birds
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:25 am

Stickgal

It's recommended to have at least 18" of width for finches. The other dimensions you've listed are good. I've heard strawberries are somewhat nervous birds, so some fake plants they can hide in would be good. The vines might work if the leaves are thick enough, but all the fake vines I've seen don't provide much cover.

I've also heard green singers can be somewhat aggressive. If you have an extra cage and could find a good owner to rehome to, you could try keeping green singers with the others, but if not, I wouldn't.

I only have Moxidectin right now. I've heard farmers do fecal tests to determine when to administer, and then alternate between Moxidectin and Ivermectin to reduce chances of parasite resistance, but this does not seem to be common practice in non-food animals for whatever reason.

For clipping nails, I put the bird's back on the palm of my hand and hold its neck is between my index and middle fingers. Then I loosely wrap my other fingers around its body, using my thumb and another finger to hold its foot in place. I then get a bright light (a phone light works fine) and use it to see through the bird's claws so I can avoid the quick when clipping. I use regular human nail clippers. Make sure the bird does not shove its other toes into the nail clippers while you cut a nail, or you may cut off the toe.
Clip the nails as slowly as necessary but as quickly as possible, if that makes any sense; the first priority is not hurting the bird, but the second priority is getting the job done fast so you don't stress the bird out too much.

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:58 am

Great advice all! I will alter the dimensions to make it deeper and put the nailclipping advice in my notebook I'm making (yes, I'm one of those people..lol). I'll also ask my local bird store about taking him if the need arises.

Thanks again!
Vicky

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:30 am

Icearstorm

I ended up buying a cabinet style glass aviary. 51 wide by 27 deep by 37 High. Beautiful and roomy!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:07 pm

Stickgal

Nice find! If you're not replacing the glass with mesh, it would be a good idea to cut air vents in the side and put some decals on the glass for the first few days so they learn not to fly into it.

Stickgal
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Stickgal » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 pm

Thx! It came with a fan system and the top is mesh. I did read about the decals and I will def use them.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:49 pm

ps they have nail trimming videos on youtube I found very useful, catching your bird and holding each toe individually. Another trick I found (because he may get loose before u are finished) is if u trim his nails while seated on your bed with a sheet covering u- like a makeshift tent and a small flashlight- sounds crazy- but like I said , if he gets loose hes stuck in the tent with u and very easy to re-catch- this makes life easier on the both of u !
I watched multiple videos, and one woman would hold the nail with the trimmer lift the toe up and down to make sure the foot was secure then press clip. As an aside the flashlight will help u see through the nail more clearly so u don't clip too far down. In the event that u do, its always a good idea to have "blood stopping powder' on the side while u clip (u can purchase on Morning Bird website)