Add four new finches to two male zebras?

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
finchloverfoof
Pip
Pip

Add four new finches to two male zebras?

Post by finchloverfoof » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Hello all,

I have two male zebra finches currently in a flight cage(31" L x 20.5" W x 40" H), but one of the males is prone to plucking the others feathers although he has ceased this recently. He recently also plucked his own feathers(I believe it's self inflicted), which is weird because he is generally a very lively, healthy and boisterous bird. Giving him away is tough because we agreed to take care of these two from family members, and the aggressive one is also the far better singer.

I want to reduce this type of anti-social behaviour and I am considering adding more birds to make it a more lively community. I also feel that the cage is somewhat sparse, so I'm planning to add some plastic plants and natural manzanita wood perches. Currently they have rope perches, shaped dowel, a swing and a mirror(in which the aggressive male loves to sing and puff his chest out).

I've heard 4 birds is not a good number to have in a cage so I would go up to six. What is a good combination to reduce conflict and make all birds happier in the cage? I'm considering adding 4 females or 1 male and 3 females to make it even. I do not have any intention of breeding them however, so won't place any nests inside.

Cage model:
https://prevuepet.com/product/164/fligh ... black-f040

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Add four new finches to two male zebras?

Post by Fraza » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:20 am

finchloverfoof if you add 3 females you are asking for trouble because one of the females will pair up with the male and bully the other two (most likely)

The best option would be to buy 3 females and 2 males and then introduce them all into the cage together after you have cleared it out and re adjusted all the perched and decorations etc this way the original male wont be as terrotorial and then they should all hopefully get along fine

With the breeding I doubt you will be able to stop them, you will just have to throw the eggs when the hens lay
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3