Thinking about finches as a family pet

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
HarleyGuy
Pip
Pip

Thinking about finches as a family pet

Post by HarleyGuy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:51 pm

My two teenaged kids want to get a pet, but given their active lives with school, sports and friends our options are limited. In doing some research I read that finches (and other birds) make a good pet for those seeking an animal that does not require a lot of human interaction. Between the kids, my wife and I we can give a pet bird a couple of hours of attention each day for its care.

I like to get your thoughts on us getting two maybe three zebra finches as a pet given what I said above.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Thinking about finches as a family pet

Post by Fraza » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 pm

HarleyGuy I would say buy a breeding pair of zebras it makes it a lot more fun when you see them raise a clutch and watch your own bred chicks turn to adults
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

HarleyGuy
Pip
Pip

Post by HarleyGuy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi Fraza,

That's an option, but I don't know what I would do with all the offspring's.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Yes, and that you have to think about. Where would you find good homes for them and the next ones and the next. Even if pet shops take them, a lot of those don't get good homes. Taking the nest out won't stop Zebras from laying eggs. And you have to worry about egg binding too. I would get two or three Society males. They get along better than Zebras, and with males, you don't have to worry about eggs. The males also sing. To be sure you are getting a male, make sure you see it sing. That is the only way you can be sure it is a male. I have three and am very happy with them. They sleep in their nest at night and are very active in the daytime. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 pm

Societies are excellent 'beginner birds'.
Fairly inexpensive, hardy, come in many colors, active but not destructive, easy to look after, peaceful [won't bicker like zebras], and males have a quietly pleasant song.

A quick look at your area's Craigslist turned up this:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/d/ ... 66901.html

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:58 am

Actually I agree with others society’s would be much better
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:54 am

HarleyGuy

The vast majority of finches are watch-only pets, but Java finches may be somewhat more interactive than the others. They're more curious and will need a larger cage and more mental stimulation, but they have very distinctive personalities. Some may learn to eat from your hand or otherwise be social with people. If you do go with finches, I'd recommend either a single pair of Java finches or several male society finches (I find societies most interesting in groups of about six). Gouldians are also relatively hardy if you get them from a good line, but they do seem to be lazier than some of the other species.

HarleyGuy
Pip
Pip

Post by HarleyGuy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. I need to look into Society and Java finches. With Society finches what would be the minimum number of birds I should get?

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Depends in part on the cage size you are contemplating.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

HarleyGuy

A pair will usually do fine, but I had a pair of hens that seemed depressed before I got more birds, so it does depend. I've never had a group of four societies have issues, although there may be exceptions.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:10 pm

I have read that it is illegal to ship Javas across state lines and that a handful of states have banned possession altogether. As far as I know California is one of the states where they are illegal. A common name for them is 'rice bird' and they are thought of as potential pests to seed growing agriculture.

How real that threat is and if people obey such laws is problematic. Javas are legal in AZ but are very seldom seen here.

I once contacted a Java breeder in New Mexico and found that a condition of sale was to appear with proof of residence in New Mexico. No shipping to other states or sale to non-residents.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm

HarleyGuy

Zebra finches are cute little birds, but the fact that they reproduce so readily makes for a problem--what to do with all the offspring? Sometimes, you can't even give them away (and you have to be careful giving them away on sites like craigslist, as I've heard that snake owners look for free finches to feed their snakes).

Java Rice birds, or Java Sparrows, are not legal to own in California. I'm sure there are some in that state, but those who have them would keep it very quiet. It is also illegal to have them shipped in.

For a family pet, I'd go for Societies. They have great personalities, usually get along very well with other birds, and if you decide to breed, you have a little better chance of finding homes for the offspring. Societies are easy to care for too, so would fit in with a busy family schedule.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

HarleyGuy
Pip
Pip

Post by HarleyGuy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 pm

From here and doing Googles searches the Java finches are illegal in California. I do like what I am reading about the society finches. Thanks for the suggestion.