Flying outside of its cage

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
frillwing
Pip
Pip

Flying outside of its cage

Post by frillwing » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:43 pm

What would you suggest to do to make me and my bird comfortable about it flying freely outside of its cage? My bird is a Dutch frill canary.thanks.peace.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Flying outside of its cage

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:34 am

I'm a big fan of birds flying. Over the years, I've seen that health and nutritional problems almost disappear if a bird has room to fly.

This is what I do to introduce a bird to flying outside its cage:

---glass can be an issue. Cover the window and any mirrors.
---have the room somewhat dim. Put a lamp near the cage, because birds fly toward light.
---open the cage door and sit nearby to watch. It may take several days for the bird to actually venture out. Be patient.
---Once the bird is flying around, watch to see what kind of trouble it gets into. Again, be patient and don't leave the room while the bird is free. I think the best way to bird proof a room is to watch the bird, and adjust when you see what can go wrong. Stoves and heaters and glass seem like the biggest possible issues.

In a dimmed room, they usually fly around, then perch on higher spots like a book case or refrigerator. They'll go back to the cage because that's where the light is.

After a week or two, you can increase the light. If you're sitting at a desk or table, have a light near that. Have some of the bird's favorite food there. Canaries are inquisitive, and your bird will eventually fly to the table to see what is happening.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Flying outside of its cageb

Post by Fraza » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm

Dave I agree
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Flying outside of its cageb

Post by Fraza » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm

Dave I agree before I had my aviary I used to love letting them out
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

frillwing
Pip
Pip

Post by frillwing » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 am

Any suggestion on what type of lighting should be used. Fluorescent,etc,?
Should the lighting be mounted to the cage. Should I wait for the bird to fly back to its cage by itself. Thanks much,peac

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:28 am

I don't think it matters what sort of light you use--I use an 8 watt LED lamp, near the cage.

Yes, wait for the bird to go back to the cage on its own. The whole idea is for the bird to be comfortable with the new experience, to not be startled.
Dave

Canaries

frillwing
Pip
Pip

Post by frillwing » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 am

How about a light like an aquarium/overhead light. Also is it more desirable to have a lamp on during the day and off at night?peace.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 am

An aquarium light usually has a lot of blue light, not the best. The fixture is fine, if you can find a bulb that has a more natural light color.

By the way, Canaries need seasons to stay healthy. That is, they should only have lights on when the sun is up. In terms of how many hours of light per day, that means more hours in the summer and less in the winter.

That can be manipulated to match your schedule. The total number of hours of light should match the natural outside day length.

https://savoysingers.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -your.html
Dave

Canaries

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Proofing the room should only be necessary until your birds are used to the layout and boundaries...ie where the windows and any mirrors are, at least this was my experience. My finches fly freely around my living room all day and will always go back into the cage at about 5pm as if they know what time it is. I cover them up at about 7pm allowing a little light to still enter the cage. They seemed to learn really quickly where they should fly and perch and also where and how they might possibly get hurt

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:25 pm

fluorescent lighting is hard on their eyes, as they are meant for natural lighting, they sell uva/uvb bulbs (on amazon)or even the aquarium lighting I believe is also closer to natural lighting - this is better for their bones.
Flying outside the cage, is very easy, first u can put a clean branch or perch / in the doorway of the cage- so he has something to land on to return, and it will become part of his routine, second, cover glass mirrors etc- u can leave the Window- Only IF you have a perch in front of it, or along the ledge, this will prevent your bird from flying into it, I have 2 finches, they fly all the time and land on the perch no problem. I have perches set up in every corner, so they feel safe to explore, they will go back to their cage when they are hungry or thirsty. (ps I have long fig tree branches, amongst other safe branches, u wash first with vinegar than thoroughly under hot water) there is a finch website that recommends what branches and lighting are good- I found through using this forum, search the threads) Obviously you do not want them to fly unattended, just like small children playing in the street, u must keep your eye on them- so be patient, its fun watching them. best of luck to u!:)

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:45 pm

ps) here is the website I mentioned
http://www.finchinfo.com/housing/lighti ... midity.php