Playing audio to canary

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
frillwing
Pip
Pip

Playing audio to canary

Post by frillwing » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 am

Any opinions on playing audio such as this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0QBrTUxC4 for a frill canary? Is it beneficial? Should the bird singing in the audio clip be of the same species?a Dutch frill canary?Thanks.peace

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Playing audio to canary

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 am

Some Canary breeders swear that they can teach Canaries to sing in such a way that they can win contests. They even keep their windows closed so that their Canaries won't pick up off notes from wild birds.

The research on Canary song says that young males, in the fall, can pick up songs. But that when they mature, they revert to their genetic song.

I've had good results in starting male Canaries singing with gusto to tapes of other Canaries. And also with the vacuum cleaner running.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

tex
Nestling
Nestling

Post by tex » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Also it can be funny watching the reaction of your birds, my finches are hysterical when i play them you tube clips

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Not into canary song training but I do have some speakers in my aviary for my own enjoyment when I'm out there. There' an extensive playlist of selections piped in from the house including some canary CDs but I found that they really seem to like the sound of male opera tenors the best. I get a huge response to Puccini, Vivaldi and Verdi. :lol:
At this time of year the young males are going off by themselves to practice singing very softly to themselves. Very cool to watch but by December/January, they'll have it all perfected to the point where I can hardly hear my own playlists.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Phoenix811
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Phoenix811 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:03 pm

I play youtube videos for my finches, they respond to most of the different birds, but are especially excited and sing along to their own breed. (In the summer I take them outside and they respond to cardinals, blue jays, and other song birds- my one little guy goes crazy for the song of the ice cream truck hahah- it was a hilarious discovery!)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 pm

frillwing

Male Canaries learn their song from their male relatives. They will also mimic other birds' songs, so playing Canary songs for him may teach them to imitate the songs of the other bird.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:25 am

lovezebs, there is research that says male Canaries, in their first summer, pick up song from other Canaries. But most of their song is genetic. As breeding season approaches, most male Canaries are singing their genetic song without much influence from other birds.

Old-time Canary breeders say that the most valuable Canaries are the hens that have produced a good singer. That adds to the idea that the song is genetic.

It's too bad that Canaries and Finches are such a small group of people and birds. There are lots of research questions that don't get answered. The little research I've read seems to center on the song.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries