Plant life

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
frillwing
Pip
Pip

Plant life

Post by frillwing » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:40 am

Anyone ever try incorporating plant life into a bird’s habitat?peace.

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Plant life

Post by ann » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:02 pm

I used to keep live plants in with them because I loved the way they looked. Unfortunately, if they liked the plant they would eat it and/or tear it to shreds. The ones that they didn't eat, like small ficus trees, they also enjoyed - they slept in them at night and perched in them during the day. They also pooped in them. It's not easy to get dried bird poop off of leaves. Now I just clip eucalyptus branches to the sides or hang them from the tops of their cages, and throw them out every week. Looks very nice and not nearly as much trouble as live plants.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 am

This is a really good question!

To create a sort of jungle effect, for years, I tried to plant all kinds of expensive live plants - only to have them devoured in short order by my hungry flock of herbivores. The one plant that survived over the years is a juniper bush growing in full sun that they still like to prune a bit into what is now a really attractive 30-year old bonsai.

Anyway besides a lot of romaine and other daily veggies, I decided a long time ago to feed live grasses in what I call a "green feeders". It's basically a piece of sod purchased at Home Depot for 5 bucks and planted in a frame with welded wire over the top so they can't pull the green grass out from the roots quite so fast.
Green Feeders.jpg
I also have an elevated planter box in the main aviary for more grasses and some transplanted kale and romaine from the garden - all watered on a drip system. Just above the box is a spray millet "tree" that they love to work on throughout the day.
Planter BoxJPG.JPG

Like Ann, I also like to use eucalyptus but it only lasts about 2 weeks. Some say the oils can prevent parasites in domestic birds.
8. Eucalyptus branches controls parasites.jpg

One veggie they all really like is Comfree (again from the garden) which is presented in a vase with wire mesh over the top to prevent accidents. It's great fun to watch birds with a variety of foods to select from since they spend so much of their time looking for their next meal.
5. Garden Flight #2.JPG
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Absolutely beautiful set-up An inspiration! Love incorporation of plants, grasses, and garden greens- healthy and visually stunning. Do you have water feature as well? Your birds must think they are in Paradise.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:00 am

Thanks Finch Lady!

RE: water features...Looking at the pics above please notice the creek that runs the entire 65' length of the aviary. I only use it mostly in the Summer when temps rise above 90F... But the most popular water feature is the community bird bath in the garden section.
Bird Bath.JPG
When I open up that section in the morning, I usually see about 30 or 40 birds flying in for a bath or seeds at the second feeder - or some greens there. The button quail all meander down there together as well but mostly for some floor seeds, greens, dried meal worms or a nice dust bath in the morning sun.
5. Lower End of Section 2.jpg
Interior Garden Aviary 2.JPG
I have a video of the bird bath that includes a long tail male Whyda moving in with all the rest for a bath.
Pretty good movie... If I can figure out how to put it on U TUBE for you, I will.
Otherwise I can send it to you on a drive link if you send your e-mail address to paul.94949@gmail.com
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:54 pm

I didn't notice the 'creek'- very nice feature. Specially like 'green feeders' and raised planters. Also, lovely bird bath. It is like a bird garden...must take a lot of upkeep but give lots of joy and satisfaction, as well.
Beautifully done.

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks Finch Lady!

Surprisingly not a lot of upkeep. I feed every other day (takes about 15 min) and I do a major cleaning and hose the place out once a month (takes about 4 hours). Other hobbies (and work) require much more attention than the aviary.
Nesting season takes more time of course - The selective breeding cages are maintained every day but that only lasts about 4 months for one or two clutches.
4. Italian Selective Breding Cages for Red Factors .jpg
Selective Breeding Cage2.JPG
Finches and doves make their own selections.
3. Finch Nest Boxes (25).jpg

Brisbane_Finches_333
Pip
Pip

Post by Brisbane_Finches_333 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 am

I have a lot of mates who have multiple fully planted aviaries with nesting shrubs, trees and seeding grasses for finches to eat. For me, my aviary's a work in progress...
Finch and Quail Breeder from Brisbane, Australia

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi B_F_333
You're so fortunate to live in Brisbane! I visited your ultra clean city a number of years ago - along with Sydney, Melbourne, Taz and the out back... Best vacation ever!
Love to see some pics of of your "work in progress"...