New to Gouldians

If you are new to the hobby and have some "newbie" questions - feel free to post them here! :0)
shillelagh
Pip
Pip

New to Gouldians

Post by shillelagh » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi! I have about 10 zebras that are happy and healthy and breeding like crazy. I have the zebras set up in an A&E flight cage (63" x32" x 21" ) with a fountain (disassembled and cleaned every other day), live bird-safe plants and natural perches. I also have a florescent "grow light" and a red nightlight on timers. They are being fed Higgins vita finch, spray millet, and fresh grated egg food with assorted greens every day.

I've enjoyed them so much that I've been wanting to try some of the other types of finches. After attending my 2nd bird fair, I bought 3 juvenile gouldians. They have yet to molt, but I believe I've got 1 normal male, a normal female and a blue back female.

Currently they are in a smaller cage, I'm the same room, but up higher than the zebras, in quarantine. ( best my space will currently allow) I do have a red heat lamp positioned above the cage with options for the birds to move closer or further away from the light of needed. They are being offered the same diet as the zebras. I understand that these birds are more delicate than my zebras, and want to get them set up for the best life & happiness!

I'd love some advice on what I can be doing to help them adjust to their new home. I do have a second identical A&E cage waiting for them after the quarantine period is over. I'd appreciate any knowledge learned from experience!
3 Pairs of Zebras and their offspring
3 Gouldians
3 Chickens
4 Cats
2 Dogs
4 Fish tanks
6 Orchids
(and a million other houseplants)

Reformed hookbill owner!

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: New to Gouldians

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:04 pm

sounds like a good start.

Gouldians get an unfair rap for being tender. As long as the stock is healthy to start with they aren't any more delicate than most other finches.

They will need egg protein for molting. For egg food through the molt you might consider dried commercial egg food. A lot simpler to deal with than making your own and the birds like it just fine.
Mine don't seem to like veggies very much.

have fun.

shillelagh
Pip
Pip

Post by shillelagh » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks Paul, they were so still the first few days that I began to worry. They're much more active now. I'm doing my best to keep their stress levels low.
3 Gouldians
3 Chickens
4 Cats
2 Dogs
4 Fish tanks
6 Orchids

Reformed hookbill owner!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:46 pm

shillelagh

Congratulations!

Gouldians are some of my favorites.

Sounds like your on the right track so far.

Just for future reference.... it's always better to buy young gouldians after their first molt, as some of them tend to have a bit of a hard time with being moved around during this time.

Good luck and enjoy.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

shillelagh
Pip
Pip

Post by shillelagh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Elana, I've read that... I'm a bit worried about the 1st molt. I've read that this can be especially tough on the blue varieties. Hoping for advice from seasoned gouldian people here to give them the best chance.

It is reeeeeally difficult to find gouldians in my town... I've not seen many, and jumped at my chance to get these guys when opportunity presented itself.

Here's the set up. Zebras below, Gouldians up top.
Attachments
1045.jpg
3 Gouldians
3 Chickens
4 Cats
2 Dogs
4 Fish tanks
6 Orchids

Reformed hookbill owner!