Mousebirds

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
monotwine
Proven
Proven

Mousebirds

Post by monotwine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:06 am

So I went to visit my friend that works for a vet and walked out with an abandoned baby mousebird than needed to be hand reared.
Successfully reared it with the help of my 1.5yr old daughter, who is besotted with Babe Bird - as she called it.

So my first attempt at hand rearing a mousebird has been successful except for one thing...
THEY STAY TAME! Rox warned me they can become very tame so even pre empting this with limited contact etc was to no avail.

I even got a friend for Babe Bird from a fellow rehabber which didn't trust me and was much older.... instead of the wilder one influencing the tame one it went the opposite way. Now I have two tame birds. They are adorably affectionate and cuddly. Following us around the aviary. They are very nice birds as a pet - I must be honest, but a little on the messy poop side as they are frugivores, although neither has ever pooped on me. All the benefits of a hookbill without the noise.

Babe Bird
This was a few weeks after I have been hand-rearing. I can't seem to find the first picture I took of him/her. They are quite ugly ducklings when they have no feathers.
IMG_20180115_132638.jpg
IMG_20180115_132638.jpg (100.86 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
My daughter and Babe bird have a special bond too.
BBB.jpg
BBB.jpg (119.93 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
This is about one of the best pictures I can get with my phone these days... Babe bird likes to land on the mobile instead of posing.
Babetail.jpg
Babetail.jpg (102.74 KiB) Viewed 9142 times

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Re: Mousebirds

Post by monotwine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 am

Red-faced-mousebird (Urocolius indicus) this is the species the mousebirds are. They are quite stunning up close:

This is Babe Birds friend Laurie:
Laurie1.jpg
Laurie1.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Laurie2.jpg
Laurie2.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Babe bird is now almost indistinguishable between them, though remains the tamer of the two.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:50 am

These are interesting looking birds, they resemble an intermediate form between a hookbill and a finch. They look very soft too.

I have read about these and they are well recommended as pets, though very, very rare in my country.
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm

monotwine Congrats on the two Mousebirds! I have wanted one of this species ever since nixity posted about hers. I am planning on moving this year, and most likely I will have to downsize drastically. Perhaps one of these would work better as a pet in the future. We do have one breeder on the west coast of US who works with this species.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

nixity
Molting
Molting

Post by nixity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

So cute!

Featheredfluffkins
Pip
Pip

Post by Featheredfluffkins » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:51 pm

I’ve always wanted one... they’re very rare where I live! Congrats! They’re quite lovely!!!

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Read an article about this cute birds in the bird magazine and they sounded really interesting!
Lucky you to have the opportunity to have been able to help them and keep them!
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:35 pm

monotwine

They are lovely Monique, just keep them and enjoy them.

I am sure your little one is just loving them :-BD :-BD :-BD
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 am

monotwine

That is adorable!! Love it!! <3

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 am

Bebe bird (8).jpg
This is the last pic I have of our beloved Babe bird. He was out and about in the garden with my daughter, as usual one Sunday. He flew off, which he regularly did, but then didn't return. As he was a wild bird and never destined for a life in a cage I always gave him an option to be free.

I feared the worst and was very concerned. Sent out notices for a lost tame mousebird on our community forum and he was located a few blocks up from my place. He was however not landing on people or flying into their homes so none could catch him. My daughter and I walked about calling him to no avail. I have subsequently seen him in the gardens and wild conservation area near my home so I know he is safe and after a month out obviously managing to forage. There is a wild flock of 15 mousebirds in the area with a previous hand reared female in the group that was housed with Babe. It would seem he became a "man" and the urge to go wild took over.

The time we had with him was special to many. Our family and the local park kids who would play with him. Some even overcame their fear of birds because of him. Go well Babe - fly free as you were meant to be.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:25 pm

A beautiful bird! He is enjoying his freedom and may some day return for a visit. Though you will miss him, you gave him a good life with you and now he may be starting his own bird family.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:00 am

wildbird indeed. I saw him an his new little family yesterday evening. He called and chatted but had no inclination to come to us which is fabulous. This really is the best outcome for him. So glad he could get rehabilitated to the wild as he was so incredibly tame. Just shows you that when nature calls that sex drive can overcome any taming.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:18 am

monotwine Such a wonderful story!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:53 am

monotwine

Wonderful news!! Perhaps a feeder with his favorites would tempt him to bring his fledglings in for visits.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:28 am

Babs done since he flew off. The wild frugivores are dining in style, but the mouse birds seem not to visit. This is all ok though. Wild and independent is good.