Isn't this bird gorgeous?

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
finchboiuk
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Isn't this bird gorgeous?

Post by finchboiuk » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:48 am

tobyneilson wrote:Just to make you all jealous,I have blue tits as a regular visters to my garden table,along with coal tits and long tailled tits :mrgreen:

They are gorgeous birds to watch,that picture does not do it justice on how stunning they are

Got say,I almost chocked when I saw the price
same :P here there everywhere we must have at least 6 pairs that come to are garden i like the long tailed tits best :)
Goldfinch x Canary Mule
Zebra Finches
Society Finches
Gloster Canary
Border Canaries
Mixed Canaries
Diamond Doves
Java Sparrows
Heck's Grassfinches
Irish Fancy Canaries
British Green Finches
Budgerigars
Love Birds
Japanese Quails
Indian Silverbills
African Silverbills

tobyneilson
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by tobyneilson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

finchboiuk wrote:
tobyneilson wrote:Just to make you all jealous,I have blue tits as a regular visters to my garden table,along with coal tits and long tailled tits :mrgreen:

They are gorgeous birds to watch,that picture does not do it justice on how stunning they are

Got say,I almost chocked when I saw the price
same :P here there everywhere we must have at least 6 pairs that come to are garden i like the long tailed tits best :)
I prefer coal tits yself,just love watching the hop around and eat :mrgreen: I would post some pics I took last sumer,but I accidently deleted every single photo on y laptop other day #-o
To many pets to list :)
Dogs,Cats,Birds,Rabbits,Hamsters,Lizards,Snakes,Rats,Guinea Pigs,Mice!!!

6finchfriends
Proven
Proven

Post by 6finchfriends » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50 pm

We have little Bush Tits here where I live. They are the most darling little bird! They are only the size of humming birds and very social. they aren't flashy colored though lately I've seen (what I guess are the males) at the suet feeder feathering out with orange-ish and red-ish heads. I can get a good look since the feeder is right next to the kitchen window. I would love to have some 'inside' but I know they are happy being outside. Sigh.. What kind of wild Tits does everyone else have in their area?
Bush Tits.jpg
Trish
8 adorable Society finch ~ 4 beautiful Gouldian finch
~1 Cockatoo~1 Sun Conure~1 Green Cheek Conure~1 Parotlet~1 dog~ many pond fish & a 7ft Red Tailed Boa, Little Niki

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:56 am

hi
i have a japanese maple in the front garden,and i hang those same type of cages on there that hold those fat cakes.i have had all the native tits in my garden blue longtailed and coal,but if i get the cakes with meal worms in i get the robins,in the bottom of the hedge we have a pair of wrens.the hedge at the moment is full of nesting tree sparrows that will not stop bickering,of course we have the resident blackbird whoes song wakes us in the morning,we have stalings nesting in the eaves which have used the same nest for years.in the back we have a table with all kinds of bird food on it that gets mostly starlings but we have had the odd goldfinch because the food has niger and teazle seed in the mix green finches sometimes visit when we put sunflower seeds out,but what i mostly look forward to is the swift we live not far from the river and they get the water and mud from there and built thier nests in our eaves aswell as the starlings,they start thier screechy noise as soon as it gets light and carry on till dusk they look marvelous flying inbetween the houses without colliding with anything or each other....i am really lucky because since my own birds went i have a great deal to watch at this time of year,the other day i actually saw a pied wagtail walking along the pavement outside eating crumbs that people had dropped it was lovely

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

6finchfriends
Proven
Proven

Post by 6finchfriends » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:17 pm

I love the wild birds too! You must have a wonderful piece of property Ken! Unfortunately the neighbors feed the crows and they have nested on our property line in a big tree. With the crows there, the song birds will not nest in our yard this year. :cry: (for those of you who don't know, crows will kill and feed any baby bird to their chicks) I'm very sad about it all. We had a swallow family that nested under our back porch for several years but not this year. NOTHING is staying this year. Only to hit the feeder and then they're gone.
Trish
8 adorable Society finch ~ 4 beautiful Gouldian finch
~1 Cockatoo~1 Sun Conure~1 Green Cheek Conure~1 Parotlet~1 dog~ many pond fish & a 7ft Red Tailed Boa, Little Niki

tobyneilson
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by tobyneilson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 am

Sae here Ken,I live on the edge of a sall town and get all the tits and sparrows,along with the starlings,collard doves and robins,(mainly winter),get the blackbirds and some chaffinch have set up nest in a box at bottom of garden

Here some blue tits i managed to snap this morning while out walking dogs

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 am

Those tits are just too cute and pretty!

Has anyone kept them in captivity? I am wondering if they are hardy aviary birds and what about their disposition? Thanks for all the neat photos.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

tobyneilson
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by tobyneilson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:40 am

JohnBoy wrote:Those tits are just too cute and pretty!

Has anyone kept them in captivity? I am wondering if they are hardy aviary birds and what about their disposition? Thanks for all the neat photos.

Never kept them as pets but if they can survive a british winter they will be fine in your aviary :lol:
As for disposition,they seem to me to be a social type of bird,always in small flocks