can bearded tit live in warmer weather?

An area to discuss topics relevant to softbills.
william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

can bearded tit live in warmer weather?

Post by william » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 pm

i finally have space for a new species and i was wondering about this pretty birds

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: can bearded tit live in warmer weather?

Post by Sally » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Rayray and psilocybin6 are the only members I know of who are working with this species. If you are in the NFSS, Rebecca Mikel keeps them.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am

Hi william, if you are willing to ship, Jan at Texas Pride Aviary has the Bearded Tits for sale, but at $300 a pair + shipping. :) Her website is: http://texasprideaviary.com/

and her price list is: http://texasprideaviary.com/BirdsForSale.htm

Her available birds was updated just a week ago, so it is current. Good luck!!! :D
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:37 pm

bugaboo5 wrote: Hi william, if you are willing to ship, Jan at Texas Pride Aviary has the Bearded Tits for sale, but at $300 a pair + shipping. :) Her website is: http://texasprideaviary.com/

and her price list is: http://texasprideaviary.com/BirdsForSale.htm

Her available birds was updated just a week ago, so it is current. Good luck!!! :D
wow ! if i had the money i wouldn't mind paying for it but i just don't know about shipping birds they may not make it :( im gonna keep looking and giving it some thought i really want a pair cuban singers (tomeguines) thank you for the info!!! :)

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 pm

im not on NFSS , maybe i can find another bird i like , thank you sally!

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 pm

I was going to recommend Cuban Finches earlier....Cubans cost about the same (or less) and have a beautiful song. Plus, they are almost going extinct in the wild, so it would be a worthy cause to keep and breed them. Good luck! :)
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:15 pm

bugaboo5 wrote: I was going to recommend Cuban Finches earlier....Cubans cost about the same (or less) and have a beautiful song. Plus, they are almost going extinct in the wild, so it would be a worthy cause to keep and breed them. Good luck! :)
about 6 month ago they were going for $250 a pair last bird fair i went $ 150

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 pm

william wrote: about 6 month ago they were going for $250 a pair last bird fair i went $ 150
Oh wow! $150 for a pair is a really good price. I've seen them in the $250-$350 range; at least here in the U.S. I would love to have a pair of Cubans someday, but I don't have the room for a new species. I love their song and have great respect for Cuba and its people (minus the politics) so they are on my dream list. If the Cuban finches you see are young, healthy, a true pair, and in the $150 range, pick them up for sure. Maybe the price will go down a little more (especially in Florida) but you never know. They are saying the finches are becoming less and less in their native Cuba -- probably from over catching. Hopefully if anything happens to them in the wild, we will at least have enough Cuban finches in private collections to keep their song alive! :D

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:14 pm

a lots of them were actually really young, they were just getting there colors! thanks for the comments about cuban's! :wink:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 pm

One thing to always keep in mind when getting into a new species that is not as common--if you want to breed them, can you locate other pairs or other breeders to swap bloodlines? Otherwise, if you breed them, you wind up with a bunch of babies with no future mates for them. If you just want them to add to a collection, then that is not as important.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Sally wrote: One thing to always keep in mind when getting into a new species that is not as common--if you want to breed them, can you locate other pairs or other breeders to swap bloodlines? Otherwise, if you breed them, you wind up with a bunch of babies with no future mates for them. If you just want them to add to a collection, then that is not as important.
yeah i think about it all the time now, it took me a while to get rid of 5 birds just to make space, i was actually saying to my self the other day how glad i was that the gouldians only have two chicks :)

cjkrit
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by cjkrit » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 am

a Friend gave me 2 pairs of Bearded Tits roughly 2 months ago. Already on 3rd clutch from them. Very cute and busy little birds.
Christo Kritzinger
Burgersdorp
South Africa

william
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by william » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:39 pm

cjkrit i think im gonna stay with the pair of Cuban's i have for now, im very busy at the new job and bearly have time to enjoy them. do you have any pics?

cjkrit
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by cjkrit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:40 pm

DSC_1303.JPG
DSC_1304.JPG
Christo Kritzinger
Burgersdorp
South Africa

cjkrit
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by cjkrit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Here in South Africa we call the bird that I posted the "Baardmannetjie" or bearded tit. I have now checked and it is Sporopipes squamifrons. All my mistake.
Sorry for the misinformation.
Christo Kritzinger
Burgersdorp
South Africa